Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oversupply problem. Which pacifier?

Question Oversupply problem. Which pacifier?

My baby is 7 weeks old and cannot comfort nurse due to my oversupply. She's feeding great and gaining weight fine, but screams at my breasts when she's not hungry. She also has trouble eating when she's wide awake and feeds mostly when she's drowsy and her relexes can handle the letdown/spray. It's obvious she wants to comfort suck and fusses a LOT because she can't...so now we have decided to use a pacifier since she's old enough and nursing is established.

The dilemma is ...which one? I don't want to hurt our breastfeeding relationship. Silicone or latex? Straight or flat? I even bought a couple of the new Gerber Natural Flex that is supposed to be most like a breast nipple. Anyone tried these?

Default Re: Oversupply problem. Which pacifier?

Welcome to LLL! This board was a saving grace for me in the beginning, and still is. My sister just went through this with her baby, and I went through it with mine (OALD, and SCREAMING at the breast). I didn't go the paci route. I just nursed laying down, nursed when he was drowsy (just waking or just falling asleep), did the block feedings, nursed while he was sleeping ("dream feed"), and did lots of skin on skin contact (while fixing the oversupply problem). Have you checked out the "too much milk" board? There might be some more ideas on there for helping with oversupply, and getting your LO more comfy at the breast.

My sister used a paci, because of the screaming. Then her LO was refusing to nurse at all, and screaming for the paci all the time. He also started latching poorly, and it was really affecting the nursing. Eventually she she stopped giving it to him, and now her supply is manageable, and he is a nursing champ.

I don't want to discourage you from making your own decision, many pp do fine with paci's. I just wanted to share our experiences, and let you know that your LO can get comfy again with nursing for comfort, if thats the route you want to go!
    HTH!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

There are a few things you can try to lessen the effects of oversupply and/or decrease your supply to meet the needs of your baby. Most of them did not help me until just recently, but I have heard of them working. Are you block feeding? If you need to know more about it, I can explain it in more detail, but essentially block feeding is feeding on one breast for one or more feeding, or for a block of time (i.e. 2 hours feed on one breast for every feeding in that period). This is helping me now, and my ds is getting to comfort nurse some.

We do use a pacifier. I hate it, hate it, hate it and I feel some sort of guilt every time I give it to him. But, he wants to suck ALL the time and I have another child to care for, and I can't get nursing in a carrier down (believe me, we've tried). I prefer the soothie--IMO, it makes the baby suck most like they suck on a real nipple--with their lips flanged out.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

I have been block feeding for a couple of days now, but I didn't know that's what it was called. I had been doing it instinctively because I was concerned about her getting enough hindmilk because her feeds are so short.

We had a good day yesterday and didn't give her a paci, but I have bought some just in case. But...I am still concerned about her rejecting the breast so it's our last resort. If we have another six hour marathon fuss-fest where she refuses to eat, I will probably give in and try it.

I have been checking out the Oversupply board...lots of good info there! Thanks for recommending it, I hadn't gotten the chance to fully explore the board yet.

I honestly didn't read the other posts, so this could have been said already but consider using silicone instead of latex (due to allergy concerns)...look for a paci that is all one piece (the more parts, the more it can become a choking hazard) and look for one that mimics the nipple (ergonomic). Don't feel too guilty about giving your LO a paci, it's hard to be a human pacifier...as long as he's not hungry and you're not using it to hold off feedings you're good. My LO did the same thing and it took me a few days to figure out what she wanted. Now we use a paci after feedings (if she wants to) and we cuddle just like we would if she was comfort nursing. She's still getting what she wants and so am I!! Sounds like you're doing great though! Good luck with everything!

My LO loves the MAM paci's.

Quote Originally Posted by MilkMom View Post
    My baby is 7 weeks old and cannot comfort nurse due to my oversupply. She's feeding great and gaining weight fine, but screams at my breasts when she's not hungry. She also has trouble eating when she's wide awake and feeds mostly when she's drowsy and her relexes can handle the letdown/spray. It's obvious she wants to comfort suck and fusses a LOT because she can't...so now we have decided to use a pacifier since she's old enough and nursing is established.

The dilemma is ...which one? I don't want to hurt our breastfeeding relationship. Silicone or latex? Straight or flat? I even bought a couple of the new Gerber Natural Flex that is supposed to be most like a breast nipple. Anyone tried these?
    My little one is eight weeks old this week. My milk came in within 36 hours of birth and when it came in, it came in in abundance. Add to that a baby who was nursing pretty much constantly (good considering he had a touch of jaundice) and we had oversupply problems by the middle of his first week of life. There are things you can do to deal with oversupply without feeling forced to use a pacifier. We have a couple that we use occasionally but honestly, Chance knows the difference and refuses to accept a pacifier if he can see me. In the car or stroller he will reluctantly take the pacifier (we use MAM) otherwise he spits it out and reaches for me.

Nursing lying down works by allowing your little one to nurse uphill, against gravity, making it easier to control your flow. Alternatively, you can nurse leaning back in a recliner and/or nurse with baby uphill to your breasts. Many women swear by a football hold with baby sitting up facing you. Mine despises the football hold so we do a cradle or cross cradle wit him sitting on my leg.

I would strongly strongly recommend block feeding. This means you nurse on the same side any time she wants to nurse for three to four hours at a time. In the meantime you can pump or express just enough to keep the other side comfortable without encouraging more milk production. This WILL work but it takes some time.

I finally stopped needing to block feed this past week when Chance took matters into his own hands. Watch your daughter in the next week or so, she may do something like this also. Chance decreased his nursing dramatically enough that I was on here posting in panic about that combined with some other issues. He still had good diaper output so I really shouldn't have worried as much as I did. Anyway, when he dropped to six or seven feeds per twenty four hours, that did a really good job of decreasing my supply to a more manageable level. DON'T force your daughter to do this!!! But if she does it herself and her diaper output is still good, try not to panic. It just means she's doing her part to bring your supply under control. Chance is back up to eight to ten feeds a day as of Friday, btw.

~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.

My LO always wanted to comfort nurse and wasn't able to which would cause her to scream. She rejected the pacifier when I finally broke down and tried to give her one. I kept at the block feeding and gradually increased the time of the block to 8 hours. Finally between 12-16 weeks the supply regulated and she is able to comfort nurse and she loves to comfort nurse. It takes time but hang in there.

Cool Re: Oversupply problem. Which pacifier?

I put my lo on MAM's brand paci. They come in ages/stages, are silicone, but have the silk touch nipple, so it "feels like Mommy", and they're orthodontic, to keep baby from having a tooth issue. This is now officially the only paci he will use (I think it has to do more with the silk touch than anything). I tried to give him a few others, and he will have NOTHING to do with them!
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

We were going to try to avoid paci's too, but alas, that first week we kept giving her the Soothie paci the hospital gave her (I didn't tell them they couldn't). She has done great at learning to nurse and has gained lots of great weight. I just keep using the Soothie even though she spits it out ALL the time! It's great for when she's really tired, but cranky and won't chill even at the breast. And most of all, it was a LIFESAVER during the first few weeks when my nipples were SUPER cracked and sore.

I agree with everything MOOSE said too!!