Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I dont feel engorgement or pain if i miss a feeding or 2!!!!

Exclamation I dont feel engorgement or pain if i miss a feeding or 2!!!!

Hi

M 3rd post today as iam desparate. i dont feel engorgement or pain if i miss a feeding or 2. I can go on comfortably for about 6-8 hours at a stretch. and i dont "FEEL" a let down. but my ped assures my baby is gaining enuf weight and height and that i need not bother. BUt iam worried. is my supply low??? or is it draininmg out? i also dont leak. Have leake only once or so. but am able to hand express milk successfully if i attempt. So whats going on here???

pls help.

mom2sarvagnya

JC's MOM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: I dont feel engorgement or pain if i miss a feeding or 2!!!!

Not sure if I can help but I will just let you know my experience. How old is your LO? I know with my DD after 2 months or so I was no longer engorged or leaking as I had been previously, so naturally I was worried that my milk supply was running out. The older the baby gets the more efficient they are at emptying the breast and they are not nursing as frequently as a newborn. I would say though that 6-8 hrs without b/f-ing is rather long depending on the age of the baby. The only way to keep up your body's supply of milk is to nurse often, it works on a supply/demand process. I feed my DD when she seems hungry, more often in this hot weather and my supply is good and I am not engorged. She is 5 mths and she typically nurses every 3-4 hrs. I know there will be other moms here who can explain things better or who have other ideas, be patient the answers will come.

HTH

mom2sarvagnya: when you say you go 6-8 hours between feedings, is that at night. If so then that's fine (I do the same and my supply has not at all reduced in the daytime). If you go 6-8 hours between feedings in the daytime, then you should probably feed her more often as breastmilk only takes 90 minutes to digest. But since her weight is fine (as you described in your other thread), she must be feeding enough.

Some women never feel "let down", it is normal. In my case I felt it for the first few weeks, but not anymore. It is also normal after a few months of breastfeeding for your body to finally adjust to how much milk your baby needs and you'll stop feeling engorged. This is a good thing, and not something that means your supply is low. Not leaking is also normal. I am like you, I have never needed breastpads and my supply is fine.

As long as your baby has 5-6 heavy wet diapers a day then you know she's getting enough milk.

Half the battle with breastfeeding is confidence! You're doing a great job - keep it up!

thanx jc's mom and sara. my bg is 7 weeks now and she is in the 50th percentile in weight gain and 75th percentile in height gain. she is active and healthy. manages to pee min 10 toimes a day in sizeabla qty. poops once or twice a day. i feed her every 3 hrsin the night. but its the day when she `sleeps long hours. and ometimes at night she is so sleepy that she sucks vigorously initially and then just plays along or falls asleep at the breast!!!!!i am not very successful at pumping as well. so if this continues will i dry up soon?????

mom2sarvagnya

JC's MOM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I am not an expert but as long as you are b/f your DD your supply will not dry up, your body is adaptive to what your little one needs and takes. She probably will be entering a growth spurt period soon (often around 8 wks) and then you may find she wants to eat more than before. B/f is not easy at times, I know I had many of the same concerns around supply but it sounds to me that your LO is doing very well and is healthy. Try not to be too centered on the weights and figures, you are doing an excellent job, hang in there!

It is okay if your milk supply is well-established not to become engorged when missing a feeding. If you did this regularly, you may find your milk supply becoming lower OR run the risk of plugged ducts, but it's okay to not become uncomfortably full. At 7 weeks old, I would suggest doing everything possible to not miss a feeding.

As long as you are nursing regularly, your milk will not spontaneously dry up. Just keep watching the diapers.