Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this child-lead weaning?

Default Is this child-lead weaning?

Since Ryan was one, he has been getting cow's milk in a sippy during the day on weekdays and nursing when I was home on weekends.

About a month later, he refused mid-day nursing on weekends.

Then we were down to day and night nursing.

A week or 2 ago, he got a tummy flu and refused to nurse at night and gave a fight during the day.

I thought that was a nursing strike so I continued to try to nurse during those 2 times. As he felt better he picked up the night nursing once or twice, then it stopped. The AM was back to normal.

Now tonight he was his usual happy self. And was MAD at me (as if he were offended) when I offered to nurse. He wanted water and a piece of bread.

Now we're down to only AM nursing. He's only 15 months (today). Is this normal? Otherwise he's happy and healthy. In fact, after this last bout of illness, he seems to have less separation anxiety.

I wouldn't be too sad if it is, I just want to make sure it's his decision...

Default Re: Is this child-lead weaning?

I'm so jealous! It sounds like he is weaning himself. I am trying to wean my 1 year old, but he is NOT happy about it. It is breaking my heart, but I am pregnant and don't want to tandem nurse, so I have to get him weaned in plenty of time before the baby comes. I wish he was like your son, but I think he would nurse until he was 30 if it was up to him
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

Quote Originally Posted by ryans_mom View Post
    Since Ryan was one, he has been getting cow's milk in a sippy during the day on weekdays and nursing when I was home on weekends.

About a month later, he refused mid-day nursing on weekends.

Then we were down to day and night nursing.

A week or 2 ago, he got a tummy flu and refused to nurse at night and gave a fight during the day.

I thought that was a nursing strike so I continued to try to nurse during those 2 times. As he felt better he picked up the night nursing once or twice, then it stopped. The AM was back to normal.

Now tonight he was his usual happy self. And was MAD at me (as if he were offended) when I offered to nurse. He wanted water and a piece of bread.

Now we're down to only AM nursing. He's only 15 months (today). Is this normal? Otherwise he's happy and healthy. In fact, after this last bout of illness, he seems to have less separation anxiety.

I wouldn't be too sad if it is, I just want to make sure it's his decision...
    As long as you aren't refusing him at other times of the day if he asks, then its his decision. 15 mos. is young, but some babies truly do self wean at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I'm so jealous! It sounds like he is weaning himself. I am trying to wean my 1 year old, but he is NOT happy about it. It is breaking my heart, but I am pregnant and don't want to tandem nurse, so I have to get him weaned in plenty of time before the baby comes. I wish he was like your son, but I think he would nurse until he was 30 if it was up to him
    If you're having a hard time weaning, you could try just limiting a session here or there. If you're due in November, you probably have 7-8 mos. left in your pregnancy, and actually, I think the figures are that a majority of women actually lose their milk supply during pregnancy anyway. I know the figure is more than 50% of women, I just don't remember how much more than 50% it is.

Anyway, my point is that losing your milk supply slowly may help baby to wean on his own a bit, and since you have so much time until you give birth, you have plenty of time to move a bit slower.

ETA: I also wanted to say that I heard that lots of women who are pregnant notice milk supply dwindling around 16-20 weeks

Default Re: Is this child-led weaning?

Well, he nursed 3 times saturday and 4 sunday. We also spent a nice weekend together without me having to do work...

I call this back to normal and NOT weaning!

I'm glad I kept offering!

Default Re: Is this child-led weaning?

Toddlers, especially while/after being sick, can be interesting creatures. DS has gone through a lot of stretches where he was really sporatic with his nursing, but he's still at it. Glad to hear things are back to normal.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.