Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: are formula fed babies bigger tyhan ebf babies????

Exclamation are formula fed babies bigger tyhan ebf babies????

I have always seen babies fed with formula are bigger than exclusively bf babies. Although healthy and active bf babies sometimes are not as big (atleast to look at). My baby girl was 7.7 lbs at birth and at 6 weeks now is 9.6 lbs. Our ped says she is in the 50th percentile on weight gain and 75th percentile on height gain. I am worried about her weight gain. should i supplement???? or is she doing well beingh healthy and active and i dont have to worry about sizes anymore?????

pls help

Default Re: are formula fed babies bigger tyhan ebf babies????

I think the weight gain sounds fine and don't think you need to supplement. My understanding of the percentiles and charts would mean that at 50th percentile your daughter is bigger than half of babies her age and smaller than half, in other words she's of average size. Certainly two pounds (actually more since she likely lost some after brith) in six weeks is fine.

I've heard that the charts are based on formula fed babies. Sometimes bf babies are bigger though- I think they're more likely to have to cute chubby thighs!

50% for weight is great! As the previous poster explained it means she's right in the middle (it does not mean that she's 50% smaller than other babies, as is sometimes misunderstood). There's absolutely no reason to supplement. Your breastmilk is obviously helping your baby grow perfectly well. Keep up the great work!

And it's not a general rule that BF babies are smaller than FF babies. Often BF babies are chubbier than FF babies in the first few months and then slim down later.

Red face Re: are formula fed babies bigger tyhan ebf babies????

I hope my baby slims down... I feed him to calm him down sometimes, and my mother is very concerned that he is getting fat. He was 12lbs. 10 oz at birth, and at 2 month check up was 15 lbs. 7 oz. The ped. was pleased with his growth, and I see no reason to feed him any less often than what I am. At 3 months old, I'm sure he's in the 18-19 lbs range, but we won't go to ped. until 4 months old. I hope he slims down, but he's cute and puggy now!

thanx a bunch u moms out there. i was worried sick that she is just 50 percentile of wat she shud be. and 75 percentile in height.

i think iam looking for the chubby thighs here. but as long as she is active and healthy iam happy

mom2sarvagnya

Quote Originally Posted by Vickietoria
    I hope my baby slims down... I feed him to calm him down sometimes, and my mother is very concerned that he is getting fat. He was 12lbs. 10 oz at birth, and at 2 month check up was 15 lbs. 7 oz. The ped. was pleased with his growth, and I see no reason to feed him any less often than what I am. At 3 months old, I'm sure he's in the 18-19 lbs range, but we won't go to ped. until 4 months old. I hope he slims down, but he's cute and puggy now!
    Wow, and I thought my kid was big! DS is 5.5 months old and is about 19lbs---EBF. He was born weighing 9lbs, 9.5oz. When they pulled him out of my belly, one of my first thoughts was "Goodness, he looks like a bulldog!" He just keeps getting chubbier and chubbier I love chubby babies

Quote Originally Posted by Nwfdrool
    When they pulled him out of my belly, one of my first thoughts was "Goodness, he looks like a bulldog!"
    LOL! That's so funny, because when my DD was born the first thing I thought was "wow, she looks the Michelin Man". She as 9.2, and the last official weight check was at 11 weeks old and she was 11.4. She's 4 months now and I've weighed her with the scale a few times and she's about 15-16 pounds.

50% is super! Don't need any supplementing. The 5% or below is healthy if that is the growth curve a child takes, genetics play a big factor into hieght and weights of children and as long as they grow at a steady rate, the numbers and %'s meen nothing! FF babies are heavier-it's also proven that they have a higher rate of obesity later in life too, where as a BFed baby has a lower rate of obesity later.