Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could I be eating something to cause no BMs?

Default Could I be eating something to cause no BMs?

Could I be eating something to cause Cash not have BMs? He's almost 4 months old, exclusively BF, and has always had LOTS of BMs. He went 10 days without one and I gave him a suppository. He pooped 3 times and that was a week ago. I gave him another suppository tonight (didn’t get it all in) and nothing yet. I’d rather not give him the suppositories if I can figure out a natural way to help him have a BM; like not eating something that could cause it or beginning to eat something that can help him.

If you have advice or experience with no BMs I’d appreciate it.
    LLL Leader Cabarrus County, North Carolina

Default Re: Could I be eating something to cause no BMs?

Probably not.

As they get older their 'regulation' can make "huge" changes and it's typical/normal. As long as he does go, and it's not hard pellet like, there is really no cause for concern. I would agree that theu use of "help" isn't ideal. As long as he's not getting anything but breastmilk, its not true constipation.

As I always say, though, if you're truley concerend that there is a real problem call your doc
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Probably not.

As they get older their 'regulation' can make "huge" changes and it's typical/normal. As long as he does go, and it's not hard pellet like, there is really no cause for concern. I would agree that theu use of "help" isn't ideal. As long as he's not getting anything but breastmilk, its not true constipation.

As I always say, though, if you're truley concerend that there is a real problem call your doc
    I was trying to allow him to go on his own since he was behaving normally, he had no fever, he was nursing normally, and his abdomen was not tender or distended but at 10 days I got worried! How long is it ok to let them go without help?
    LLL Leader Cabarrus County, North Carolina

I have read that some babies can go up to 2 weeks w/o a BM.... as long as they are not showing signs of discomfort i don't think you have to worry too much, but I know what you mean! My lo started to make me wonder when she went 3 days, but she went tonight, a big one too, so it will happen when they need it too!

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

ask long as they are not in pain and aren't acting funny
    And you haven't gave them any other foods 10 days or more could be normal for your child.
    on the upside it means changing less diapars!

My LO went 13 days once without having a BM and the doc said it was completely normal. I was advised by an acupuncture physician to rub her abdomen several times a day to help move things along in there. They've helped a lot. He also told me to use gripe water (which is a natural supplement) to help w/the gas and believe it or not it has also helped move her Bms. She doesn't go all the time, but sine the 13 day occuerence she's been going between 2 - 3 times a week. As long as he's having some and has plenty of wet diapers, he's ok.
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby