Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I redirect my son away from nursing and not dampen the nursing relationship?

Default Can I redirect my son away from nursing and not dampen the nursing relationship?

My LO won't turn one for nine days, but I hope it is OK to post this here.

My son is a champion nurser and we'll keep going for now. We've been teaching him sign language and he's picking it up fast. Now he knows the sign for milk and he uses it ALL THE TIME. I mean, all the time. He doesn't even want to nurse half the time, he just seems to use it for everything he wants to eat. My supply isn't up to this and I'm sure he isn't getting alot of milk, but instead he seems fascinated by his new found ability to express himself. I've taken to telling him that we're going to eat instead when he's signing milk at the fruit cup or the banana or the cherrios. He's fine with that and he immediately does the sign for eat (and then 3 cheerios later he does the sign for finished, but that's another story..)

I certainly want to nurse him on demand/cue and I don't want to discourage nursing, but I don't think he really wants to nurse at all sometimes. I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance that I'm doing this right. Am I going to weaken the nursing relationship by redirecting him sometimes? I am not looking to wean.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Default Re: Can I redirect my son away from nursing and not dampen the nursing relationship?

*I* do not think you'll weaken the nursing relationship by encouraging him to express what his desires are, correctly. Frankly, I think it might strengthen your ability to understand him.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: Can I redirect my son away from nursing and not dampen the nursing relationship?

Agreed! plus at this age he should be trying different foods and so on!
    Follow your instincts mom!

If I had nursed immediately every time she asked, I wouldn't have ever gotten anything done. She'd ask to nurse in the car, during a diaper change, etc.. there are just times when it was impractical. And if I knew she didn't need it, or even want it that badly, it was always easy to distract her. This never hurt her feelings, she never remembered later that she didn't get to nurse the last time she asked, and she was alway confident in her own communication skills. As she grew into toddlerhood, I did a lot of limiting and putting off nursing.

She nursed for three and a half years. She remembers it fondly.

So I don't feel that redirecting dampens the nursing relationship one bit. In healthy relationships there are compromises, negotiations and boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by awnja View Post

So I don't feel that redirecting dampens the nursing relationship one bit. In healthy relationships there are compromises, negotiations and boundaries.

yep yep
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by tamarama View Post
    Agreed! plus at this age he should be trying different foods and so on!
    Follow your instincts mom!

I personally do not like to tell others what they "should" or should not do when it comes down to their lifestyle. So, yes, follow your instincts and your sons lead as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by 1sadmama View Post
    I personally do not like to tell others what they "should" or should not do when it comes down to their lifestyle. So, yes, follow your instincts and your sons lead as you see fit.
    Forgive me but I can't tell, are you agreeing or disagreeing with what I'm saying?
    Hard to tell for me from how you worded your post.
    :-)

Thank you everyone. I do follow my instincts and do what feels best for my family, but it's nice to come to this forum to see what other people think. This helps reinforce my own thoughts or it gives me the opportunity to think about a topic a different way. Thanks for all your thoughts.

I especially like what awnja said, "In healthy relationships there are compromises, negotiations and boundaries."
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07