Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oald, maybe?

Default oald, maybe?

certainly didn't think i'd be posting in the newborn thread again so quickly!
    anyhow, i am a little confused as to exactly what oald is. i have tried looking it up in "the womanly art of bf'ing" and another bf'ing book i have and can't find it. is it also called something else? i think we may be experiencing this, but am not sure. when she eats i can here her gulping really fast and then she will pull off and choke and gasp and catch her breath. i try and catch her before she gets to that point and pull her off to let her swallow. i also try to sit her up more while feeding. it really only seems to happen in the beginning of the feed. she feeds twice on each breast, at each feeding. being burped in between. she doesn't seem to have any problems with burping, gassiness, or spit up, which is why i'm not sure if it's oald. i thought those were symptoms that came along with that. we really aren't having problems with it, i just want to know if this is what is going on, and if so, are there other things i can do to make her more comfortable while nursing? tia
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Default Re: oald, maybe?

Here is the page from Kellymom with a lot of info. From what I remember DS would just pull of and gag and cough a lot. You could try block feeding, I don't really think it would hurt anything to try it and see what happens.

By the way she is adorable

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

thanks, amy! i have been looking for oald, not forceful letdown, i thought they were 2 different things i think i will try nursing sitting back more to try and make it a little easier on her.
    Lisa
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

I hope that works for you guys! I would also pull DS off at letdown and spray into a towel then relatch him. He wasn't happy with me when I did this but it was for his own good (man I sound like a mom )

Happy nursing!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Lisa,
    OALD stands for OVER ACTIVE LET DOWN. They don't talk about THAT in any of your books?

Way too lazy for formula

I generally have the same issue you describe, Lisa. Gulping fast at the beginning of a feeding, etc. She doesn't really seem bothered by it much, though. I don't think it's a huge problem for us. I've tried expressing a little into a cloth diaper/burp cloth and leaning back while feeding, which seem to help a little.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    I generally have the same issue you describe, Lisa. Gulping fast at the beginning of a feeding, etc. She doesn't really seem bothered by it much, though. I don't think it's a huge problem for us. I've tried expressing a little into a cloth diaper/burp cloth and leaning back while feeding, which seem to help a little.
    Molly, are you back at work so soon???

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Lisa,
    OALD stands for OVER ACTIVE LET DOWN. They don't talk about THAT in any of your books?
    i know, and that's why i wondered if it was called soemthing else, because surprisingly, i couldn't find it listed like that it IS listed under forceful letdown though, which i didn't think i had because my milk never comes spraying out like they describe.
    Lisa
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    yea, kelly isn't bothered by it much either, i think i am bothered for her i tried leaning way back during her last feed and it seemed to help. thanks ladies!
    Lisa
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Molly, are you back at work so soon???
    heck no, I have a few more weeks

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen777 View Post
    yea, kelly isn't bothered by it much either, i think i am bothered for her i tried leaning way back during her last feed and it seemed to help. thanks ladies!
    Good, I hope it continues to go well!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on