Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: becoming one w/ your baby

Default becoming one w/ your baby

I posted a thread recently about my baby falling asleep on breasts when I go to feed. I don't know exactly why, but I am getting through it. I've talked to one of my best friends who bf's and is a huge support system for me. She lives across the country from me but we talk daily and she is the reason I'm still doing this only after almost 2 weeks. She gave me some good advice. See I've screwed my sytem up before I even got one. Baby wasn't putting on weight, nurse said to supplement. I supplement and think, "hey this bottle is nice." I will breastfeed all day, bottle feed at night" well, it's not working out that way. I will bf for hours. Right now I'm going on 2 1/2 now and she still won't stop sucking. ( a boppy helps if you're on the computer). well, what I've been doing is quitting at 2 hours and she's still crying that she's hungry so I give her either what breastmilk I've pumped or formula and she drinks about 3 oz or more. So I'm thinking what is wrong w/ me? Is she not getting enough milk from me? How can she be that hungry still? Well, I wrote a long email to my friend and she said, you have to put away the bottles, put away the pump unless you absolutely need it. She said "you have to become one with your baby" and what she meant was I need to just sit and feed and put my body in sync w/ my baby's so my body can learn how much milk to produce by how much my baby is taking and in no time at all, it will go faster b/c I will be producing so much more milk.
    So, today, I've put aside the bottles, and it's hard not to think of the easy way out, but I care too much for my baby and our relationship too put her on formula again. But I've been doing nothing but feeding all day and all through the night.
    We just need to be there for eachother and I'm glad she told me about this site so I can vent on here too lol!

Default Re: becoming one w/ your baby

I am so glad you have that friend, she gave you the right advice. You are doing the right thing. It is hard in the beginning, BF is not such an easy thing. But you & the baby will become one and get into sync and it will be easier then. You just have to let your body do what it was designed to do. Keep up the good work, keep talking to your friend and keep posting here. You'll do just fine.

I fed around the clock the first 6 wks of my DS's life (every hour). It sometimes takes awhile to "get in sync". Your body WILL get the message and things WILL get easier! Enjoy the time together, set up an island (book, remote, phone, computer, water, snack ect...). Keep in touch with your friend. I have found that I need continued support from my 1 friend that has BF and DH b/c I tend to get resistance from most everyone else.
    Congratulations on your new LO!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

CONGRATULATIONS!
    My son Lived on a boppy pillow the 1st eight weeks of life. And I lived on the couch. It's a slippery slope with formula. The best thing you can do for your breastfeeding relationship is accept that your baby really needs YOU all the time. Just like when you were pregnant. Thank goodness you had someone who you really trusted to show you the way!

Good for you for having figured this out!! It took me until my 3rd baby to figure out that I just needed to park it on the couch with my baby and go with the flow. Your body will adjust. You can do it!!

You are doing exactly what you have to do, congratulations it is v hard and so tempting to give up as well!
    But remember your baby is so little she has to learn how to BF too.
    It's not easy for her, that's why she is taking so long. Also she needs your smell and your comfort, the breast is the closest she is to the womb. She will get more efficient before you know it, and long feeds will be a thing of the past.
    My little one did use to feed for hours on end, I found it lonely when it was the middle of the night and I wanted to go back to bed... 4 months on, she nruses 5 mns on each side and then she's done!

Congrats on sticking with it. Some good advice I recieved from an LC was to throw or give away those free containers of formula the companies send you in the mail. If there's no formula in the house, you won't be tempted to use it. I didn't get a pump until about 6 six weeks either. That way I knew if my baby needed to be fed there was only one place he could get it. I'm sure you two will be one in no time.

well it's starting to get so much easier let me say. It's been a couple of days since I've done no formula and only breast feeding and she still latches on for a long time, but not as long.

Those first two months are toughf. You feel tied down and exhausted. You did get great advice from your friend. I was a perminate fixture on my couch with my son, boopy, remote controle, water, phone and laptop for those first 2 months. Just like the pain of child birth quickly fades away, the first two roughf months of bf soon fades away and bloosms into a very special relationship. Know that you and your child will soon have a schedule and things will be great.