Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: only 2oz this week

Default only 2oz this week

Lucas has only put on 2 oz this week he ha been regulaly putting on 10-15 oz a week, then last week and the week before he put on about 6oz a week....but this week only 2!!!!! he feeds about 9 times a day.......if i ofer the breast when he isnt hungry he refuses it so i dont know what to do...id worry i was having a supply problem but i always seem to be fine, last night he actually slep 6 hrs straight, and i woke up very engorged and leaking all over my sheets"!!!

what should i do? should i be worried?
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Default Re: only 2oz this week

He seems to be doing great by your weight reports. He's not even 3months old and he's close to double his weight. They have to slow down sometime they can't keep up that kind of weight gain all the time. And in a few weeks he'll go through his 3month growth spurt. As long as he's not loosing weight I'd say you're both doing great. Keep up the good work.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

They do slow down. As long as he is growing, is happy and healthy and thriving - (and has good output ) there shouldn't be a need for concern Keep in mind it's more about the pattern of growth they display over a period of time as opposed to the x# of lbs they gain any particular week.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

ive just done some calculations!!! i started my period again when he was 6 weeks old, around the beginning of march...and that week he only put on 3 oz...but he also had a stuffy nose that week and i had put it down to being a stuffy nose....but...ive been crampy all week and feel like im about to have another period..and he has only put on 2 oz....so it may be that....as also he been feeding a bit more, like every hour and a half to 2 hours as opposed to 3 hours in day..so i thought he was maybe going thro a growth spurt..but maybe not, it may have been because i am about to start a period and have had a small dip in supply.
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

So what is his weight now? How often are you weighing him or having him weighed? Is it always on the same scale, and is it a baby scale?

Is he exclusively BF? Bottle fed EBM? FF at all?

My theory is that watching a baby's weight too closely gives mom too much anxiety. IF he is having drastic weight problems, then he should be weighed a little more often, but otherwise, don't weigh him. Watch his diaper output and his developmental milestones. Is he happy, smiley and interactive? Is he moving his arms and legs a lot, starting to watch toys go by, watching faces, cooing a little? Your supply will rise and fall a little bit, especially with AF and colds, etc. But he is going to make up for that by adjusting his nursing pattern. At some point, you just have to trust your body and your baby.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Imo I don't think you have anything to worry about. I agree that as long as he is not losing weight and has good output he is fine. Plus weights can be off becuase of : the time of day, when he was last fed and if he just had a poo or wet dipe.
    Nak

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

he is 13lbs 5 now..he had been getting weighed at the baby clinic every 2nd week, but now i only have to go every month. tbh tho, as my dh pointed out he has become very active this week as he loves being on his baby gym and will spend hours kicking his legs and hitting at the hanging toys.... he has between 6-8 wet nappies a day...and some are very wet(especially the first mornng one, as he will remian dry all thro the night now and within an hour soak a nappy) and at least 4 poopy nappies throughout the day...

i think i was just so surprised as i had got used to him always being in double figures for weight gain each week, and then last week i hadnt been for 2 weeks, so he had put on 12oz in 2 weeks, then this week only 2oz in one week.

oh, and he is ebf.....he has never had a bottle .... he also doesnt seem to know what to do with a dummy....so at night, when he cant quite suck on his own fingers and he is a bit fussy...he will suck on my little finger and be asleep within seconds.....
    Last edited by samj; April 4th, 2008 at 05:31 AM.