Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I'm suppose to know how to do this, but

Default So I'm suppose to know how to do this, but

Katie doesn't. Just feeling frustrated b/c I'm getting sore. The LC at the hospital said I was overshooting her in my positioning her at the breast. I'm also thinking her tongue may not be out far enough but not sure how to encourage her to put it out far enough. On the good side, she's getting plenty of milk (I clearly hadn't dried out completely after weaning Mark ) She's swallowing with each suck and even spits up occasionally

But, last night I was just so tired (and a tad emotional) I needed to nurse her lying down or I'd just die. But clearly she's not latching right. It was killing me.

I called the one LLL leader in my area who I'm friendliest with, and she was encouraging. But, she's a new leader and I don't think terribly confident in giving me advice. She did say she or the other leader could come by sometime this weekend. She's going to call me tomorrow.

Anyway ladies just wanted to share and ask for some I feel like I'd happily nurse her to 3 years if we can just get to 3 months
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Default Re: So I'm suppose to know how to do this, but

hi laura!! so glad you popped in! try to remember she is new to this. and, she WILL get the hang of it. just relax (as hard as it is when you're exhausted) what positions are you trying? i think some newbies have a hard time with side-lying at first.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

You sound frustrated and I'm sorry. I've also heard side lying is ard in the beginning. With Nora we had to stick only to the football hold the first week or so until we both got the hang of it- I dunno why that worked best for me, but maybe it would help you as well?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

right now, kelly does best with the cross -cradle. have you tried that?
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

DS1 had a hard time with side lying as well. I think he actually couldn't support his head enough to get a good latch. It made for many sleepy nights, but I just sat up with my boppy. I remember waking up in a fog two hours after latching on only to find out it was time to switch sides and keep sitting up for another 2 hours. Oh man, please, please can anyone attest to the second newborn in your life being easier than the first?
    Mom to 3 awesome kiddos...
    C - 9yrs

O - 7yrs
    A - 1yr old in Nov '15

I'm sorry you're having a rough time DS really only would latch with the football hold in the begining. I also like the BrestFriend nursing pillow since it supported him more and I could use both hands to get him latched.

Keep it up mama, she'll figure this out soon!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Hey there!

My second was much easier, but I think sidelying is difficult for any newborn, and even more so with a newbie who doesn't latch well to begin with. The football hold was a lifesaver for me with dd, in order to coax her into getting a good latch. Are you making sure she's coming at you sort of chin first? Can you have dh help hold her head to get it positioned correctly? Do you have a recliner? I spend the first weeks with both of mine sleeping in the recliner because I could get them latched, then pop my feet up and put a pillow/boppy under my arm and lay back and sleep while they nursed.

Have you seen the Jack Newman videos? That might help a lot too!!! Thinking of you!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Laura, you mentioned her tongue isnt coming out enough, is she tongue-tied? Hope you figure things out, just wanted to extend a

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

she'll get it .are you useing anything on your nipps?

Thanks gals. During the day I have been trying a lot of cradle/cross-cradle. I was doing football at first but haven't tried it the last day or so - I've never been able to football well on my left side. I don't think she's tongue-tied (my LLL leader friend mentionned this possibility as well) b/c I've seen her stick her tongue all the way out just not before she's latching. Maybe I'm trying to push the side-lying too soon. With my first I didn't try it till he was nursing well sitting up - like 2 months, but with babies 2 and 3 I've taught them this position first. I guess I was feeling like she was making me sore no matter what so I might as well lie down and get some sleep
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.