Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Switch after 5 minutes?

Question Switch after 5 minutes?

For the past few weeks my lo (5 wks) has only been eating on one side. Originally we started it because of OALD, and then it just kind of stuck. She never wanted to nurse more than 10 minutes on the side, but she has awesome diapers and weight gain. Well now she sometimes will nurse on both sides. So what I am wondering is that lately she needs to burp after 5 minutes on the first side, should I switch to the other side after she burps? Or should I put her back on the same side so she gets enough hind milk??

Oh and, will it get to a point where I won't have to try so hard to get her to latch right? Will she at some point get old enough to latch on herself, or does that not happen??

One more thing, she has been going sometimes 4 hours during the day without feeding, and last night she went 6 hours at night (7:30 pm- 1:30 am). Is this ok? Should I just consider myself lucky? She has only been doing this since yesterday, so I don't know about her weight gain, but her diapers seem normal.

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Default Re: Switch after 5 minutes?

I would offer her the same side. She'll stop nursing if it's empty and needs to switch to the other side.

the latch will get better. in fact, I was just thinking abou that the other day because I had so much trouble getting my son to latch correctly, but then he eventually did it on his own - I don't know how you were taught, but around here, they say to slam the baby's head into your breast once their mouth is open enough...well, my son will open his mouth really wide and then slam his own head into my breast . It cracks me up. He's a year old and I can't remember when he started doing that, but I do know that it get's MUCH easier as time goes by. You're still in the early stages where it takes more work, but I would think that in the next month or 2, it should be much easier.

I wouldn't worry about the sleep at all. My daughter started sleeping 6 hours at night at 6 wks and it just increased from there. My son, on the other hand, took much longer to sleep through. He still wakes up at 5am for a feeding and then goes back to sleep. Just be happy for the extra sleep!

Good luck mama!!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danalynn724 View Post
    For the past few weeks my lo (5 wks) has only been eating on one side. Originally we started it because of OALD, and then it just kind of stuck. She never wanted to nurse more than 10 minutes on the side, but she has awesome diapers and weight gain. Well now she sometimes will nurse on both sides. So what I am wondering is that lately she needs to burp after 5 minutes on the first side, should I switch to the other side after she burps? Or should I put her back on the same side so she gets enough hind milk??
    I had OALD and fed on one side (burp and put her back on the same side) and have stuck with that ever since...8 mos now. Then if she still wants the other side I offer, but this rarely happens...she's usually full.

Oh and, will it get to a point where I won't have to try so hard to get her to latch right? Will she at some point get old enough to latch on herself, or does that not happen??
    Absolutely! DD sometimes grabs the boob with both hands and pulls it to her mouth like it's a bottle! I laugh every time.

One more thing, she has been going sometimes 4 hours during the day without feeding, and last night she went 6 hours at night (7:30 pm- 1:30 am). Is this ok? Should I just consider myself lucky? She has only been doing this since yesterday, so I don't know about her weight gain, but her diapers seem normal.
    If diaper output seems normal I wouldn't worry about it. IMO, if she were hungry she'd wake and let you know. Enjoy these long stretches while you can...there's bound to be a growth spurt soon and you'll be wishing for the downtime!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I think it was around 4 months that we broke through the wall and breastfeeding on the whole was so much easier. He got, I got it, not much work... until they start wiggling and you get a whole new set of problems!