Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorgement and plugged duct ?

Question Engorgement and plugged duct ?

My LO is 2 weeks and 2 days old. My milk came in on day 2-3 and I have been engorged ever since. The engorgement goes away after she feeds, but is back in both breasts on the next feed. She only feeds on one side per feeding since her feedings only last 5 to 10 minutes. I also think I may have an OALD, but I am not sure if my milk sprays as soon as I take my breast pad out due to the engorgement or not. When will my milk regulate??? The engorgement seems worse at night, and she still feeds every 2 to 3 hours which is the same for day time.
    Last night I wore a nursing tank top to bed and woke up for the 6am feeding with a very sore right breast. I realized the bra in the tank top was putting a lot of pressure on the bottom of my right breast. I took it off and changed to a looser fitting bra right away. Now the whole bottom half of this breast is quite sore and feels lumpy, even after she nurses. I have done moist heat massage, dry heat, frequent feedings. Can this be a plugged duct? I wasn't sure b/c it doesn't feel like one spot on my breast. I haven't noticed any redness either. Is there anything else I should do? How long before I notice any relief?
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Default Re: Engorgement and plugged duct ?

I've heard it can take up to six weeks for your milk supply to regulate to baby's needs. It's quite likely that it's worse at night, as most nursing mothers find that they have a higher supply at night and early in the morning.

You can try putting cool green cabbage leaves on that sore spot, it can help reduce supply. Don't use it too much, as you really really don't want your supply to swing too far the other way.

There's lots more about engorgement here: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

Question Re: Engorgement and plugged duct ?

Yeah, I am pretty sure this is a plugged duct. I took some Ibprophen and it has helped a lot with the pain and makes the massaging a little more tolerable. How long does a plugged duct usually last if I am using heat, massage, and frequent feedings? How long before it turns into mastitis? I am nervous to use cabbage leaves...however I am dealing with OS and OALD so maybe I should give it a go...what do you think?? Anyone else have success with them? How much is too much? Shouldn't I use warm cabbage leaves for a plugged duct?
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Default Re: Engorgement and plugged duct ?

How are you feeling now? Any improvement?

Here is a webpage that explains oversupply:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Does anything there sound familiar?

ETA: I just read your post here:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=50759
    The things you described (clicking, sliding down on the nipple, losing suction, engorgement) are all signs of oversupply/OALD. Please do read the oversupply link above, and get in touch with your local LLL Leader for more information and support.
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; April 3rd, 2008 at 12:17 AM.