Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tofu and Yo-Baby

Default Tofu and Yo-Baby

Lo is 6 mos. can i give him small bits of tofu?

Also when is yo-baby yogert okay, I know it's made from milk, but it says for babies so what's the age on that?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: Tofu and Yo-Baby

The proteins in tofu can be difficult for some babies to digest (even harder than some meats), so its probably best to wait to introduce it until the baby is around 8 months. When you do decide to give your baby tofu, make sure its the "firm" kind, which is much higher in calories and protein than soft tofu.

My pediatrician told me to start giving my baby yogurt at 6 months, it was one of his first foods. We started with plain organic yogurt, and than introduced the YoBaby after he showed no signs of sensitivity. The fruits in the YoBaby yogurts, not including strawberry, all have a low risk of allergy, but be sure to wait 5 days between introducing different flavors.

Soy protein also contains a lot of natural occuring estrogen, so you want to limit the amount of soy you give.
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!

I believe you are supposed to wait until about a year for yogurt (not sure though), but I personally don't do the YoBaby. I think it has way too much sugar. I would just buy the plain yogurt and add fresh fruits to it. JMO
    Last edited by lovebeingmommy; April 3rd, 2008 at 03:14 PM.
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

We got the okay for yogurt at 6 months, actually gave it to her about 7. I make my own organic plain, only because it's cheaper than buying it and easy to do. I also chose not to do YoBaby because of the sugar content.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

YoBaby has a plain flavor now with a lot less sugar (6g of sugar per 4OZ serving). It's not easy to find it but I bought it at Whole Foods. I waited until DS was 8 months and just introduced this week. I'm planning on introducing tofu tomorrow.

I've been giving my baby yo-baby yogurth since she was about 6 mo.old. I tried the plain one with added fruit, but she does not like it (I don't blame her!) so I give her the regular one, they have all kinds of flavors and some have added cereal. I also mix it with her regular oatmel, and she loves it.
    She already learned to recognize the little containers and she goes crazy when sees me pulling one out to feed her.
    About tofu, not sure about how to give it to her, so any suggestions will be appreciated. Plain? raw?
    txs!!

"Tofu is a protein food that may be difficult for an immature tummy to digest. Along with Meat and Egg Yolks and other more complex proteins, most pediatricians recommend offering tofu to the baby who is 8 months of age or older. As Tofu is a soy product, you should not offer it to an infant who has any allergy to soy!"
    quoted frome Wholesomebabyfood, here, where there are serving suggestions too.
    BUT
    the Wholesomebabyfood site actually derives its info from here, a commercial site of a soy corporate producer... This makes me (JMO) doubt seriously about the 'frankness' of the info, IYKWIM...
    There are more and more studies about the "dark side" of soy products... I have many links in my language, I'll try to find out some in english...
    Furthermore, remember that soy is almost always a GMO product: if you still want to feed it to your LO is ok, just be aware of its provenience...

back soon with the promised links!
    Last edited by panzona; April 5th, 2008 at 04:08 AM.
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

ok, here are some "threatening" links
    http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/index.htm

but then, there's a very detailed page on the FDA web site,
    where it's stated that
    "While the existing scientific data strongly support the value of increasing soy protein as described in the health claim, questions have been raised about individual components of soy, especially when consumed as concentrated supplements by some segments of the population." (an on it goes in explaining)
    if you're interested, it's here.

Again, my personal concern would be the GMO, but that's of course my personal opinion.
    HTH!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Another "threatening" link regarding soy: http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr...soy_story.html

I would do plain, organic yogurt sweetened with maple syrup or molasses.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.