Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Need to wean my 17mo due to pregnancy & cerclage

Unhappy Help! Need to wean my 17mo due to pregnancy & cerclage

I have been EBF my baby since he was 4 weeks old. I never thought I was going to make it this far, nor this was my goal either - didn't have any. Now I am expecting Baby No. 2 and due to my high risk pregnancy history, cerclage and bed rest, I need to wean him soon. I am 8 weeks now and only have 4-5 more weeks to go before I get the cerclage and he has to wean by then - no other options, sadly.

I don't even know where to start or have an idea on how to do this. I am heartbroken, but I have to. He nurses 1-2 a day for naps and 3-4 times at night since we cosleep. He doesn't drink any other milk but mine. I have tried different sippy cups with different milks. He only tries them and plays with them but nothing. BTW, is there any powder milk I should try?

I am with him ALL the time and my husbands works very late hours. No families around either to help with my situation.

Please tell me how you dealt with your emotions weaning your baby and how you handled it. I appreciate your responses.

Thanks,

Bea

Default Re: Help! Need to wean my 17mo due to pregnancy & cerclage

I don't really have any advice for you as far as weaning because I haven't done that yet, but I do know that as long as your lo is getting a diet high in calcium rich foods it isn't necessary for him to drink milk. I know you are still going to have a tough struggle weaning him, but at least you don't have to worry about trying to make him drink something he doesn't want/like. Does he drink other fluids- water or juice or anything?

Congratulations on your coming little one!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Is your OB telling you to wean? I know that many moms can continue to nurse throughout pregancy and throughout lots of health conditions. But, I am not a doctor and I have no experience with your particular condition. Sometimes doctors don't know a lot about bf or its affect on the body, though, either. I would call a IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) and discuss your situation with her. Its possible she can discuss this issue with you and your doctor so that you can continue to nurse with limitations. Or, if weaning is the only choice, she can give you support with that. I know it is easier to do a gradual weaning but in your situation I just don't know if that is possible or not so an IBCLC is probably your best source of information. Here is a general link on weaning techniques but these might not fully address your situation:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/index.html

Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Many mamas on here used Dr. Gordon for night weaning around this age, with good results. HTH!
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey's Mom View Post
    Is your OB telling you to wean? I know that many moms can continue to nurse throughout pregancy and throughout lots of health conditions. But, I am not a doctor and I have no experience with your particular condition. Sometimes doctors don't know a lot about bf or its affect on the body, though, either. I would call a IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) and discuss your situation with her. Its possible she can discuss this issue with you and your doctor so that you can continue to nurse with limitations. Or, if weaning is the only choice, she can give you support with that. I know it is easier to do a gradual weaning but in your situation I just don't know if that is possible or not so an IBCLC is probably your best source of information. ...
    I agree. I'd make doubly sure someone specialized in lacation is telling you to wean
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks so much for your responses and websites info.

I need to wean because I tend to have very early contractions and since I already lost a baby I don't want to risk anything. So I'll wean him as soon as he lets me - only 4 more weeks to go...

He drinks plenty of water and a bit of juice. My mom suggested to offer him juice when he wakes up in the morning... we'll see how that goes.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thank you!!

Bea

If that is the case, then weaning may be necessary.
    I am sorry mama.
    Can you give us more of an idea how often baby is nursing, and which of these sessions are the most important to your baby? The idea is to leave the most important ones for last. What have you tried so far? Did you have any success?

I don't know if this will help, but a few months ago I noticed my DS was nursing far more often when he was bored. If I could distract him with play, singing, etc., he did not nurse as much. Even better, if you have family nearby, they can help distract them. When we go to Grandmas, my LO only asks to nurse if he is tired.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

In addition to the info from the PPs links, I would also suggest you try to start nursing your LO at the beginning of you bedtime routine instead of the end. Since you have about a month until you plan to wean, that would give him some time to get used to falling asleep without nursing, without giving up the nursing at the same time. I get my little guy's PJs on, then nurse, then do stories and say goodnight to everyone, etc. so that his nursing session is about 20 or 30 min before he goes to bed. That way he's full and sleepy but still awake and doesn't need me to go to sleep.