Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sleep/nursing pattern changed-need advice please

Default sleep/nursing pattern changed-need advice please

Hi everyone. We have been doing great since I last popped in on the boards in Dec. I do have some changes I want to get your advice on. I will give you the short of it and please feel free to ask for more info. I really would like your advice.
    I have a 5mo exclusively bf., SAHM & we cosleep & haven't pumped until this week.

until 2-3 weeks ago this was 'basically' how things went:
    daytime-feed every3 to 31/2 hrs. napped in b/ween feedings
    always shorter naps of 45 min.
    went down at 8p.m. woke to feed and back down somewhere b/w 1-2a.m. and then later b/w 4-6a.m.

as of 3 weeks ago, this is what is happening:

daytime-wanting to nurse every 2-2 1/2 hrs (but only one side--keeping the room distraction free too) short naps throughout day
    goes down at 8 p.m. and wakes to feed every 2 hours through out the night.
    She uses a paci and I try that, doesn't work until after she nurses.
    Started pumping yesterday after her daytime feeds to get what she's not eating. Been drinking plenty of Mother's Milk tea.

For some reason, a few days ago, I had a lot of milk and she went back to the old pattern, only waking once at 2 a.m. She is happy all the time. A bit fussy when she's hungry but not too bad. She is an easy going baby. Diapers are fine and her weight is fine.

This is our 4th child. I never had a baby do this. They were all great night sleepers and nappers. I know each child is different, but I feel like I may need to try something different? I'm listening : )

TIA,
    Shannon

Happy bf, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, mother to 5mo dd
    Happy homeschooling mommy to ds12, ds10, dd7
    last, but most impt...Happy wife of 17yrs to my wonderful dh!

Default Re: sleep/nursing pattern changed-need advice please

If baby is thriving and happy, and the new routine isn't to much trouble for you, I wouldn't worry about it. Do you need to get your LO on a different routine for some reason? (Work, too cumbersome, etc)

20 hours of hypnobirthing and I LOVED every second of it!

It almost sounds like she was trying to boost your milk supply, you said she's happy and all seems well, so you feel ok about her intake but just perplexing?

Just when we've got stuff down, they change it up on us huh?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by melsuzylu View Post
    If baby is thriving and happy, and the new routine isn't to much trouble for you, I wouldn't worry about it. Do you need to get your LO on a different routine for some reason? (Work, too cumbersome, etc)
    Well, yes & no. I do homeschool and do the bookkeeping for my dh's company. So, regular naptimes would be nice, but not a necessity. : ) I have been wearing her more during the day since his started (although she does not like me to sit with her in the Ergo or sling). I am fine nursing her through out the night. I just wanted to make sure I was doing all I should and to make sure I had enough milk as she got older. I don't seem 'as full' as I used to.

5-9 months is a very common time for sleep regression. Before scrolling down to your siggy to see her age I guessed that she was 5 months.

Babies are going through lots of physical and developmental changes during that age.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJessica View Post
    Just when we've got stuff down, they change it up on us huh?
    Perplexing is the word. I am concerned my supply is down from what it has been.

Her frequent nursing will cue your body to make more milk. So allowing her to nurse on demand is the best way to increase the milk. Making sure you are drinking lots of water and eating healthy meals and snacks throughout the day can also help. Oatmeal can help boost supply aswell.

What is her diaper output like? Its a good way to see whats going in
    Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by texanmom4 View Post
    Perplexing is the word. I am concerned my supply is down from what it has been.
    Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Her frequent nursing will cue your body to make more milk. So allowing her to nurse on demand is the best way to increase the milk. Making sure you are drinking lots of water and eating healthy meals and snacks throughout the day can also help. Oatmeal can help boost supply aswell.

What is her diaper output like? Its a good way to see whats going in

I agree, since she's happy and you mentioned her diapers were ok right? it's hard not to worry about it though!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Forgot to mention, once your body starts to regulate your milk supply, its not uncommon to not feel full but the milk is still there!

Also, don't forget that she can pick up on your stress. So if you are stressing about it, she might be mirroring some of that behaviour in her fussiness. Trust your body to supply her with what she needs. Make sure you're taking care of yourself too
    Lyn

And ONE more thing because I'm long-winded She could be starting to teethe right? That would explain the fussiness and the frequent nursing.
    Lyn