Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Thrush- Can't Nurse

Default Help! Thrush- Can't Nurse

My baby and I have our second bout with thrush and this time it is so painful for me that I just can't possibly nurse her until I feel better.
    We both started meds this evening and I have given her all my pumped milk-almost.
    I tried pumping a few hours ago, and I did, but it was so bad there was blood dripping into the milk and my nipples are so sore, even pumping kills me.
    My question is, what happens if i give her some of the formula I got from the hospital as a sample, just for tonight, so I can recover?
    Will it make her sick? Should I use the soy or the regular Lipil/Iron kind?
    I nursed my other kids and never gave any formula, so I don 't know what to do?
    Will my milk dry up if she gets formula for half a day or maybe even a full day (If I can't bear to pump or nurse?)
    Will her poop get all gross, will it go back to normal?
    I am freaking out, I can't imagine giving her formula-but I just don't know what else to do!

Default Re: Help! Thrush- Can't Nurse

It's ok mama! #1 rule is feed the baby #2 rule is protect your supply

So if you feel like you need to use formula, that is what it's there for, to feed your baby when you cannot. Many mother's have had to supplement for short period and have been able to continue successful relationship.
    That said, here are some idea's for making it a little more bearable for you, if your not comfortable with the formula.

Very painful nipples can be protected from contact with clothing by wearing hard plastic shells in the bra between feedings. The shells come in contact with leaking milk and need to be cleaned frequently. Using crushed ice on the nipples before breastfeeding will often numb them enough to make nursing bearable. Beginning the feeding on the least sore side may also assist in the mother's comfort. Taking mild over-the-counter pain medication (whatever the mother finds effective when she has a bad headache) can also be useful.

Hand-expressing to encourage the milk-ejection reflex before latching the baby on may also help. Meticulous care in latch-on and positioning will help as can shorter but more frequent nursing times. Carefully breaking the suction with a clean finger (and washing it well afterward!) before detaching the baby can minimize discomfort as well. Some mothers wet their finger in their mouths before using it to detach the baby; this is never a good idea.

Some mothers find they cannot tolerate the baby nursing until their nipple pain has decreased. Using an automatic electric breast pump set on the minimum suction and feeding the baby the expressed milk with a cup, spoon, dropper, syringe or finger-feeding with a tube device may save a breastfeeding relationship. Abrupt weaning is never recommended, especially when there is already pain. Allowing the baby to take a few sips of water after nursing can help wash the milk from his mouth, making it less hospitable to yeast growth.
    You can find more at this link

Protecting your supply will mean getting the milk out while your giving yourself some time to heal. Hand expressing in a warm shower or bath, numbing your nipples and then pumping, short frequent pumping or nursing as opposed to becoming engorged (and in more pain) will help.
    Your milk won't dry up, but it might take a hit - getting milk out will help!

Your really stressed mama, you can and will make it through this!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I wanted to try to answer a couple more of your questions

I tried pumping a few hours ago, and I did, but it was so bad there was blood dripping into the milk and my nipples are so sore, even pumping kills me.
    your in a lot of pain! are you pumping with an electric pump on the lowest suction setting? maybe hand expressing would be easier since you don't have anything touching your nipples. See this (non LLL) link on hand expressing for some tips on doing it.

My question is, what happens if i give her some of the formula I got from the hospital as a sample, just for tonight, so I can recover?
    It doesn't have to mean an end to everything you've worked so hard for, although I can understand your hesitation, just one bottle of formula can cause issues - here is where to weight the risks and benefits. Again #1 rule is feed the baby!

Will it make her sick? Should I use the soy or the regular Lipil/Iron kind?
    This is outside of my field of expertise, I really cannot say. Maybe you could put a call into a nurse or your LO's doctor? They would have better info on this.

Will my milk dry up if she gets formula for half a day or maybe even a full day (If I can't bear to pump or nurse?)
    I won't dry up in this time, but it can take a serious hit. Getting milk out of your breasts in anyway is important. Anything, even drips or drops are good, maybe if you can get things going and just let your breasts drip it won't cause you so much pain.

Will her poop get all gross, will it go back to normal?
    I probably will get gross for awhile, but once 100% BF resumes it will go back to the poop your used to.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Hand expression is much easier on sore nipples, and sometimes even more effective than pumping. The link Jessica posted (Marmet Technique of Manual Expression) is really helpful. Here's a video that shows more about the how-tos of hand expression:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html