Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: NOt enough Hind Milk

Default NOt enough Hind Milk

If the bowel movements are green, it would indicate that he is not getting enough hind milk and he needs to spend more time on each breast to get enough hind milk.

BAscially these days his poop is green-3 of them today out of 6.wondering how to make him spend more time to get hind milk.

thanks

Default Re: NOt enough Hind Milk

Do you normally offer both breasts, or just one? I generally only nurse on one side each session, and that seems to help my daughter get enough hind milk.

Hi there!

As the PP mentioned, feeding on just one side per session could help. For some mothers, they have to feed on just one side for a block of time (for example, they nurse on only the left breast for 4 hours, then the right for the next 4 hours, regardless of how many times the baby feeds). Some women find they even have to block off in 6 or 12 hour increments. It may take a little experimentation to find what works for you.

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

If the bowel movements are green, it would indicate that he is not getting enough hind milk
    Not necessarily. Green poop is well within the range of "normal" for poop.

We know that an empty breast contains more hindmilk than a full breast because the milk has had less time to sit in the milk ducts and therefore the fat has had less time to adhere to the sides of the milk ducts (which is what hindmilk is). How long are you going between feedings? Do you nurse from both breasts during a feeding? Are you allowing baby to come off of the first breast all on his own or are you timing how long he's on the breast, taking him off and then switching him to the new side? Do you know if you have an oversupply issue? Does baby have trouble keeping up with the milk when it let's down? Is baby gassy or fussy?

As you can see, there's lots of questions! You may want to consider other signs of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance before automatically assuming there's a problem (as green poop alone does not necessarily constitute an imbalance). OR, if you aren't already, nurse baby from one breast per feed or block feed (nurse from one breast only for a specific amount of time -- for instance in 3 hour "blocks" you would only nurse from one breast no matter how many times baby wants to nurse).

I also wanted to add that it certainly doesn't hurt anything to just go ahead and nurse baby from one breast per feeding session if you are worried about this. If baby finishes the first side and is still unsatisfied, go ahead and switch him then switch him back to the first side if he'll tolerate it

BTW, other things besides a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance can cause green poop & fussiness. Let us know if you'd like more info on that.

Thanks for all your replies!
    Carol,
    Ye sI'd like more info on "other things besides a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance can cause green poop & fussiness."

Also is tehre a goo dbook for quick reading on all such breats feeding issues-like a quick look up and solutions offered for common problems.

Here are answers regarding his feedig pattern:
    How long are you going between feedings?
    Its driven by him about 2 hours or less during day
    at nights it is 2-3 hours but he hardly nurses fo rmore tahn 2-3 minutes-thats a concern for me again

Do you nurse from both breasts during a feeding?from one side.he nurses about 7-max 10 minute sonly

Are you allowing baby to come off of the first breast all on his own or are you timing how long he's on the breast, taking him off and then switching him to the new side?
    he comes on his own.

Do you know if you have an oversupply issue? Probably.initially he had latching issues and to keep up my supply and production,lactaton consultatnt asked me to pump.it fortunately brought up my supply.my educated guess is taht it began to produce a bit more tahn what he drank but its started to come down and adjust to him i guess as i havent pumped since about 2 weeks except for yesterday as it was slightly engorged as he didnt feed properly for a while.

Does baby have trouble keeping up with the milk when it let's down?
    I guess soemtimes as he coughs a bit (rare).also he is aggresive nurser as he doesnt waste time and gulps quck.is my feleing/obseravtion

Is baby gassy or fussy?
    yes.initially probably due to my food intake of dairy.since a week i am off it and its better,but fussy and cries hard between feedigs.this is anotehr concern if mine.WHY is it so i wonder and what to do.i soothe him play with him and try to put him back on breats.lotsa patience.he spits curdly or milk stuff -probbaly thats what gets stuck and botehrs him is my guess

Looking forward to all your replies !
    Thanks a lot!

Have you had your baby checked out for reflux?

RE: Green poop and other causes besides foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Dairy sensitivies can cause green poop that is usually mucousy or bloody. Babies with dairy sensitivies or other allergies are generally pretty fussy too. You may want to try an elimination diet to see if that helps him. But I'd also take him to the pediatrician to rule out reflux if he's screaming between feedings. Also, have you checked out The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD? The techniques may help you and it's certainly worth a try.

As for a book to look up common breastfeeding issues - there's probably several but my personal favorites are The Ultimate Book of Breastfeeding Answers by Dr. Jack Newman and The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Both are available in the LLL catalogue.

It doesn't really sound like you've got an oversupply issue though. It sounds like you are doing things right -- allowing baby to nurse on demand, etc.

HTH! (by the way, I responded to you first as "carosyrup" - I didn't realize that I should've created a LLL username for myself).

Thanks a lot.what exactly is reflux.i ll ask pediatrician too

i eliminated diary 3 weeks ago.now only lactaid.is lactaid ok?

also his poop is not cottage cheese like
    is taht ok?

This may help explain reflux to you: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/ger.html

I'm not familiar with the ingredients in Lactaid -- isn't that just a lactose-free dairy product? It's not the lactose in dairy that causes your baby distress (if baby is sensitive to dairy products, that is) - it's the proteins. Your breastmilk actually contains more lactose than cow's milk and it is very rare that a baby has a true lactose intolerance. So definately check the label on that Lactaid to ensure that there is actually no dairy in it. If there is then you may have just found your culprit, lol.

Not all breastfed baby poop is curdy or seedy. There are so many varying degrees of what's normal.

HTH!