Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fluid requirements?

Default Fluid requirements?

My daughter just turned one and is eating some solids regularly but will not take water from a sippy cup. We live in a dry climate and I'm always thirsty (even before I was breastfeeding) so I worry that she doesn't get enough fluids from breastfeeding. She has about 4 wet diapers a day, and has never been a heavy wetter. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Fluid requirements?

Hi Mum2Abi,
    Can you tell me more about her nursing patterns during the day and night? How about the kind of wet diapers you are getting -- are they pale/mild-smelling or darker/stronger-smelling? Is she constipated at all?
    Mary

She nurses every 2-3 hours during the day and twice at night. She has a strong smelling diaper in the morning, but it is a heavy wet diaper. Her other diapers don't smell, but are not as heavy. She has never had a problem with constipation; her poos are always soft and unformed and sometimes still runny.

Maybe she'll grow into liking water as she gets older? It sounds like she is still nursing on demand and likely meeting her needs at the breast. Darker urine and constipation are a couple of the signs of not getting enough fluids. Other options for increasing fluids (if you are concerned) are juicy fruits like watermelon or cantaloupe.
    Here's a couple of links (non-LLL sources) that discuss water intake.

"Does my breastfeeding baby need bottles of water?"
    ALL ABOUT WATER

HTH!
    Mary