Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast rejection

Default Breast rejection

My baby is 2 weeks old and will not feed from the right breast. I am currently using an electric pump to express from the right and feeding him the milk in a bottle after he has fed from the left. He has not taken from the right since he was born.

I have tried all sorts of different positions, I've tried moving him round to trick him but nothing seems to work. He latches on and then pulls straight away again, he does this a few times then gets distressed and starts crying.

We have been to see a cranial osteopath who couldn't find any problems that would sugggest why he wouldn't take the right.

Any suggestions?!

Default Re: Breast rejection

Man, I wish I had some great advice for you...

I had a similar problem, but less severe. My kiddo has always favored one breast over the other...but it wasn't her preference as much as it was mine. What I mean is that I was more comfortable holding her to the one side and because of that, she fed better on it. I'm a little lopsided, but who isn't. (No one chime in there telling me they aren't please...will hurt my psyche...lol)

Anyhow, have you sought help from a Lac consultant of from a LLL leader? I bet its more a technique thing and less of a baby preference or physical abnormality thing...

20 hours of hypnobirthing and I LOVED every second of it!

Are you right-handed? Very often the breast that corresponds to the side that you write with produces more. In my case WAYYYYY more. When I pump, I get 3 or 4 times the amount I get from my left. Anyway, my lo hated my right breast till about a month ago (he's now 7 mos) because it just came out too fast. Have you tried pumping or manually expressing some out before offering him the breast?
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!

Hi mama,
    Can you tell us how a typical latch on your least favored side goes. Give us more detail. What positions, what all you have tried so far.
    Can you describe your hand position on baby when latching?

I don't really have any suggestions, but wanted to tell you it seems like you are doing the right things as far as position changing. Many moms do end up feeding mainly from one side. That's NOT to say that you should give up problem solving, but just to let you know it shouldn't have to effect the long term outcome of your breastfeeding relationship. She is still really young. Keep doing what you are doing. Keep trying different positions.

And, answer Carpentergirl's questions...she's a LLL pro!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Is your right nipple flatter than your left? My daughter had trouble latching onto my left side for the first 3 weeks because that nipple is a little flatter than my right. Until she got good at nursing, I had to pump a little from the left side to draw my nipple out more to make it easier for her to latch on. The other thing we tried that was suggested by our lactation consultant was to nurse in the bathtub filled with nice warm water so the baby was in the water too. This seemed to relax my daughter and helped her to stay calmer as she latched on. It didn't work every time, but sometimes. Definitely keep pumping your right side so you keep up your milk production and be patient - I thought my daughter would never learn to nurse off my left side but she did.

Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Just to let you know, Jacob has now started feeding from the right side. Everything is going well! Thanks for the advice.