Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eight Months Old and Still Nursing

Default Eight Months Old and Still Nursing

I am still nursing my LO at eight months and I've introduced solids and liquids so my question is about how much BM should he be consuming? I am also a WOHM so I pump at work and nurse on demand at home. I know it's not an exact science so I'll be fine with a guesstimate. Thanks!
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Default Re: Eight Months Old and Still Nursing

I dont think I understood your question... Are you trying to find out how much milk you should leave for your lo when you are at work due that his intake in solids ???? please excuse my poor undestanding

My baby is 9 1/2 mo and I am still breastfeeding her in demand and solids to not replace any of her feeding.... in the contrary is just an addition to them... in other words, breastmilk should be the main source of food for our lo's....

With that said she still all takes her breastfeeding and gets cereal for breastfast, some kind of veggie, cook chicken or something else for luch, and cereal for dinner.... its that helpful???

I guess that is what I'm trying to figure out--I still nurse on demand at home as I stated but before adding solids and other liquids at the dcp I used to nurse in the morning before dropping LO off and I would leave the dcp with 4-4oz bottles and as soon as I picked him up would nurse as soon as I got home.

But now I leave between 2,3-4 to 6 oz bottles which he doesn't take all maybe 1 or 2 btw I still nurse in the morning and we haven't started giving him a lot of solids on a regular basis at home yet. I hth clarifies my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambarou View Post
    I dont think I understood your question... Are you trying to find out how much milk you should leave for your lo when you are at work due that his intake in solids ???? please excuse my poor undestanding

My baby is 9 1/2 mo and I am still breastfeeding her in demand and solids to not replace any of her feeding.... in the contrary is just an addition to them... in other words, breastmilk should be the main source of food for our lo's....

With that said she still all takes her breastfeeding and gets cereal for breastfast, some kind of veggie, cook chicken or something else for luch, and cereal for dinner.... its that helpful???
    Last edited by malleyboo; April 2nd, 2008 at 02:29 PM.
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear

Thanks for the clarification.... I think the ideal is to slow down on the solids and keep giving her milk..... The way I started solids was giving my lo her feeding and after that I introduced solids....

I look up for more info online...

Hey mama here a link that will help about solids and breastmilk...

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html

And this is more specific about how to manage solids and breastmilk

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...w.html#replace

hows is growth?
    and his wet diapars.
    You can still use wet diapars as a clue to know if baby is nursing well even when you add solids.

They might go longer between wets when they figure out how to hold it thier pee should be pale or clear.

Growth is excellent and wets are all the time and actually no color yet--not even a strong scent either!

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    hows is growth?
    and his wet diapars.
    You can still use wet diapars as a clue to know if baby is nursing well even when you add solids.

They might go longer between wets when they figure out how to hold it thier pee should be pale or clear.

Andy is 8 months as well and nurses or takes 5 oz EBM about 6 times/day. Sometimes 7 if he's having a hungry or fussy day. (I work and pump too.)