Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: side-laying bf?

Default side-laying bf?

Yesterday I had a stomach bug, so I tried side-laying BF with DD for the first time because it hurt my belly to hold her in the cradle position even with the Boppy. At first I tried to have her kneel next to me, but she is too tall. When I laid her down next to me, things didn't seem to line up well. I had to sort of prop her up with one arm and even then I felt like she was craning her next a little bit.

I know lots of co-sleeping mamas say it is really easy to do side-laying bf. I would appreciate any tips you could give me. DD seemed to think it was fun to lay down next to mommy to bf. After the first time, she started to giggle every time I laid down and pulled my boob out so it's a position I would like to try more often.

TIA
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

Default Re: side-laying bf?

Well for me I have always just layed the baby down first and then liined my self up to the baby. There used to be a link floating around with pretty good pics but I can't seem to find it. Just keep trying... it'll work itself out (feel better soon )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Some moms swear by the use of lots of pillows, but personally, if I have to go to the work of getting pillows all lined up it isn't worth it for me. I think it really depends a lot on your breasts as far as what will work for you. I personally have to kind of lean into DS a little bit to get things lined up. It isn't terribly comfortable, but he's pretty quick so it's okay. I also found that having a really supportive pillow for myself (under my head) really helped.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

breast size and shape probably makes a difference, but here's my strategy:
    1. position baby on his side on the bed
    2. prop myself on one elbow (on my side)
    3. sort of lean over him and get him to latch on
    4. lie all the way down, baby still on breast.
    This sometimes takes more than one try, but once we get it, we're both comfortable.

I lie on my side sort of leaned back against a pillow and hold dd in the crook of my arm- she is on her side leaned back against my arm. Then I put my boob in her mouth.

Another way I do it is to latch her like normal (cradle hold) while I'm sitting up, then I lay down on my side- this way she just naturally lays in the right spot against my arm.

hth
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It has taken us a while to master this, so it will probably take you a little while to figure out what works best for you. I'm sure that breast size does make a difference. I am weird I think ... It is most comfortable for me to nurse my LO on the opposite side from which I am lying (lying on left side but nursing from right). When I nurse from the left side while lying on the left side, it hurts my back more, but I almost always nurse lying on my left side because that's the side of the bed I sleep on and DH is on the other side. Like a pp, I also don't use pillows ... there is no room in the bed for all of us and a bunch of pillows, and I want to do what is easiest and quickest in the middle of the night. DD loves nursing in bed, as a matter of fact, we almost always nurse in bed when we are home even when we are not sleeping.

Here is a link on nursing while lying down http://www.mother-2-mother.com/tut-layingdown.htm.
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Thanks for all the tips!!! We will keep trying! My stomach feels better today so we went back to the old cradle position, but I am definitely going to try side-laying some more, especially since DD got such a kick out of it
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

It took me awhile to master this position, and then I could only do it on one side for months. I have it down pat now, and my LO started acrobatics and wants to nurse while on his stomach. he gets frustrated cause he cant stay latched on.

I lay on my side with DS next to me, his head in my armpit area. I have my bottom arm stretched out on the bed above his head. I have my head on pillows. I like a pillow behind me to lean back on, but a blanket or anything wedged back there works also. Without it I can't relax to fall asleep, I feel like I am using muscles to keep my body lined up.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years