Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: eating alot + throwing up?

Default eating alot + throwing up?

My LO has been eating alot more/often lately, ok so I figured it's a growth spirt no biggie. However, he is spitting or throwing up shortly after or sometimes during a feeding. I don't know if he is throwing up or spitting up because the amount that comes out is more then his typical spit up but it's not like he's getting all of me and him soaked. If I don't catch it with the burp cloth it will cover from my shoulder down to half way to my elbow. Sorry this the best why I can give ya detail.

He is 4.5 months, he is teething... could this be apart of the teething? He does not have a fever and the doctor saw him yesterday for a weight check and she said he's healthy and to see if this stops if not to call her.

Anyone have insight?

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

Default Re: eating alot + throwing up?

the week my son went thro his growth spurt (altho i didnt realise at the time as he was a week or 3 early for it) he threw up the whole week, after every feed, and he isnt a one for doing this, i was so worried that week we went ot get him weighed as i was worried he must have lost weight, as it seemed like after every feed he brought it back up...and he was feeding like evey 1 -1.5 hrs(his normal 2-3 in day) but he put on 15 oz that same week..

he seems to be doing the same thing this week, he is feeding every 1 hour and 20 mins or so, and onyl going 3 hrs on a night , ( normal for night is 4-5 hrs) and spitting up a lot more than ususal..
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

My daughter does the same thing sometimes and when we went for her Dr appt I asked them about it. She said that babies eat and eat and don't quite know when their bellies are full, so they end up spitting up what they overate. She said this especially happens during a growth spurt because they are eating more to increase your milk supply and tend to overeat. Your LO could possibly be comfort nursing and not even hungry?? DD did that to me this morning and I ended up wearing her whole meal!!!
    since day 1 (Sept '07) !!! so Daddy can feed Mia while I'm at work! because we both love it!

I my Husband and Daughter!!!!

My lo spit up or threw up like that when she was about 1-2 months old. I took her to the dr's think she may have reflux or something. What the dr said was she was over eating. When I nursed her for a long time, and then she wanted to eat a short time after I would try a paci. I was told to give it to her only after she was fed, and if it calmed her, odds were, she was comfort eating. We really had trouble at night with it. Also, if I let her fuss at all..even a min, she would work herself up and spit up. Not sure if you are going through the same thing, but thought I would share in case it helped in some way

That's another thought I was thinking... that he was eating so much and didn't catch on that he might be full. We will see how it goes, it looks like his growth spirt has slowed down as he is eating more on his reg. every 3hr time line.

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long