Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: beef? iron?

Default beef? iron?

Hi, my DS is 6 months and 2 weeks and has been eating solids for the last 2 1/2 weeks.
    I am following a brochure that I have from my European friend, we started with carrots, then carrots and oil, now carrots, oil and potatoes.

he has been doing great and really enjoys eating.

This week it says i should add beef for the iron. My DH is strictly against beef and sent me several articles about how bad beef is for us ....
    anyway, we eat mostly turkey and chicken and fish, so we are not vegetarian.

Now... I don't want to withhold necessary nutrition for my son, but I also dont want to jeopardize my marriage over this

I have two questions:
    1) does anyone know an easy book or site that gives me information on what to add to his meal every week? That is what the European brochure does really nicely - and I got Sear's "Family nutrition" book out of the library only to return it totally overwhelmed.

2) any take on the iron needs for a 6 month old and how I could fulfill those?

I am still BF him 6-7 / day, he gets expressed milk on the days I work.

thanks so much!!
    mother to Noah 9/17/2007
    wife to Victor 6/20/2006

Love to &
    because it is worth it

Default Re: beef? iron?

Check this site out, it has lots of info about food appropriate for different age groups, and also info on iron needs and iron rich foods in addition to beef. However, note that not all the iron rich foods listed are appropriate for a 6 mo old. Sweet potatoes are on there along with quite a few other good 6 mo. foods.
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/Iron.htm
    Hope this helps, this is an awesome site with lots of info.

I notice though that different sources have different recommendations for the order of foods- fruit, veg, meat- veg, fruit, meat- meat, veg, fruit. Personally, my take is as long as the food itself is ok for them to consume at that age, the order is less important. Just my opinion.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by jadesmama View Post
    Check this site out, it has lots of info about food appropriate for different age groups, and also info on iron needs and iron rich foods in addition to beef. However, note that not all the iron rich foods listed are appropriate for a 6 mo old. Sweet potatoes are on there along with quite a few other good 6 mo. foods.
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/Iron.htm
    Hope this helps, this is an awesome site with lots of info.

I notice though that different sources have different recommendations for the order of foods- fruit, veg, meat- veg, fruit, meat- meat, veg, fruit. Personally, my take is as long as the food itself is ok for them to consume at that age, the order is less important. Just my opinion.
    This website she mentioned is the bomb. Really browse around it. There's a wealth of information including sample menus.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

thanks for the quick replies! I forgot about this site - I think i got the link in this forum before. thanks so much!!!
    thanks for the tips too!
    mother to Noah 9/17/2007
    wife to Victor 6/20/2006

Love to &
    because it is worth it

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

you may want to look into giving your lo carrots so early. There is some concern about the nitrates in carrots. I think that there is some information on the site listed above

All I can add to the already given advice is unless there is an issue with your childs iron levels, just keep doing what you're doing. A baby that is getting their primary nutrition from mom is pretty much getting all he needs and the solids are for learning and not a neccesity "yet" At a check up soon, they should do an iron test. if they don't you can ask for one.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Grass-fed beef is not bad for human consumption. The fat in it is healthy (omega-3) and it is a great source of iron and other important nutrients. However, your husband is right that the other beef is pretty bad, full of hormones and antibiotics (turkey and chicken are full of antibiotics too if they are not organic) and the fat in non-grass-fed beef is very unhealthy.

I have no specific tips on food... actually heading over to check out that website..

But food is culturally based. There are a few things to worry about as far as allergies go, but other than that you can do pretty much whatever. My son still wont eat any foods at 8 months. So nutritionally babies dont need any food until a year.

So if you want to feed beef (I would recomend grass fed for the best and safest.) go for it... but if not, and all you want is something good to try next I think that site is probably great.

I just wanted to respond about food... cause well we have been struggling and all that and what I have come to realize is what I said above food is culturally based. Do what feels best

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    Grass-fed beef is not bad for human consumption. The fat in it is healthy (omega-3) and it is a great source of iron and other important nutrients. However, your husband is right that the other beef is pretty bad, full of hormones and antibiotics (turkey and chicken are full of antibiotics too if they are not organic) and the fat in non-grass-fed beef is very unhealthy.
    Molasses has a lot of iron and good stuff in it.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.