Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will This All Night Buffet Ever End

Default Will This All Night Buffet Ever End

I love breastfeeding my baby girl, 11 months but she has been nursing all night, If I were to count it would make more sense to count when she was not on the boob. I love love love our bond but im just waiting for the day she has a five hour stretch. She has never slept longer then 3.5-4 hours straight...ever. Here is what seems to be her schedule. 730/8 nurse to sleep. wake again around 1030. Nurse back to sleep/ Up again around 130-2 nurse,3 am nuse,430 nurse up for the day between 6am and 8 am. We co sleep. any advice. Ideally I would like to nurse once or twice in the middle of the night. I have bags under my eyes and Im cranky. Any advice on less nursing, she refuses a pacie in the middle of the night. Its cute really, she shrivels her nose and yelps. I take that as give me the goods. her diapers are soaked soaked soaked in the am. She only nurses 4- five times a day. thanks lllladies!, I need as much advice as I can get.
    kate
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Default Re: Will This All Night Buffet Ever End

I don't have any advice, but was getting online tonight to post almost the same thing. My son is 6.5 months old and also does not sleep longer then 3.5-4 hours ever. He also wont take a paci and there is no soothing him back to sleep, he has to have the boob. Sometimes I can hear him actively swallowing so I am guessing he must be hungry. Other times he'll just suck a little and then pass right back out. Though after all the screaming he does you'd think he'd be wide awake. Sometimes I am up late, like I am now, getting some work done and I don't hear him right away. My husband and I cosleep with him so my husband usually tries to sooth him back to sleep, but it has to be the boob or else he just screams and cries. But once he has the boob he passes right back out.

Hopefully someone has advice! Your not alone!
    Mom to Ethan - 7.5 months
    Wife to Beebe

http://www.tranfamilyblog.com

My only suggestion is perhaps you can encourage more feedings during the day. that might at least help with the hungry part. I look forward to seeing other ideas.

Dylan is a bit older, and he seems to still do this. I hope it ends, but

My LO is 3 months, and awakens 2-3 times a night - not bad, I know , but I notice he eats BETTER at night. He is a distractible, fussy, short duration feeder during the day. Sound familiar? Maybe your LO needs a boring, dark room, lying down to nurse more/better during the day, and more often? Just a thought.

Any advice from any moms?
    Mom to Ethan - 7.5 months
    Wife to Beebe

http://www.tranfamilyblog.com

My personal opinion is to slowly stop cosleeping. If the supply is there, they are going to want it. My DD will be 12 months on Wednesday and she gets up once if at all. I am working on getting her to not get up at all using the Ferber method which has worked wonders. I was at my wits end with her getting up so I read his book(skeptically, mind you) and tried his methods. It is amazing what it has done for our family.

My son has been exactly like that (sometimes even worse waking up every 45 minutes) until he was 20 months old. Now he is 21 months and for the last month or so he has been waking up only once (rarely twice) at night. I have been told to Ferberize him by many but I found it just too cruel. We have tried other gentler methods when he was younger but he would always return to his old routine for whatever reason. At last I figured that there are no adults who wake up several times a night to BF so eventually he will sleep. Guess what I was right. I didn't do anything, just continued nursing him back to sleep when he woke up and he reduced the number of times he wakes up gradually all by himself. The fact that I turned down the heat a bit helped as well since he hates to sleep in very warm rooms and when he sweats he wakes up a lot.
    If you don't want to wait for your baby to self-teach sleeping though, I will suggest Dr. Jay Gordon's method which is for babies over 12 months so you can wait another month and give it a try. I have seen lots of people who swear that it is a magical (and gentle) method. Here is the link:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

Quote Originally Posted by dreame View Post
    My LO is 3 months, and awakens 2-3 times a night - not bad, I know , but I notice he eats BETTER at night. He is a distractible, fussy, short duration feeder during the day. Sound familiar? Maybe your LO needs a boring, dark room, lying down to nurse more/better during the day, and more often? Just a thought.
    my 9 month old wakes every hour or so at night, and has for the past few months. it is very very difficutl. he also has always fed much better at night. several months ago we discovered he had reflux. apparently feeding better at night and being distractible/fussy feeder etc. during the day are sometimes classic signs of this (reflux). i wish i had known this months and months ago. have you considered the possibility of reflux? your LO may not have it, but that is the pattern we had, and turns out he did/does have reflux. once we started him on medicine (prilosec, prevacid, etc.), it became some better - not gone, but better.

You're not alone. We have a very similar schedule
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!