Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I have thrush?

Default Do I have thrush?

Hi - my LO has a diaper rash that hasn't completely gone away. It isn't red all over, just some red spots that seem pimple like, but without the white part. I have just started feeling my nipples itching.

Should I see a Dr.? If so, the OB or the Ped? Both?

Can I continue to breastfeed until I see them? I hope so! It's going well and I don't want to rock the boat.

If it helps, I had to have an emergency c-section, then got a bladder infection, so took an antibiotic. Also, my LO uses a paci. I have read that all of those factors can increase thrush.

Thanks!

Default Re: Do I have thrush?

It sounds like a possibility. Do you see any white patches in baby's mouth? Are you experiencing any pain with the itching? Here is a link to thrush information:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

How old is your baby now?

What are your feelings about getting a deep enough latch? If you think maybe it could be your latch, sometimes the discomfort of having your nipples compressed will feel itchy, tingly ect. Are the nipples ever whitish on the tips after you unlatch? Like their is less blood in the tip?

Deleted - double post. Sorry!
    Last edited by ktlamb; April 2nd, 2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: double post -sorry!

I don't see any white patches in his mouth. He's 5 weeks old.

I feel itchy after I feed him, but not really any pain. Absolutely no pain with letdown or anything. I kind of stopped using the Medela nipple cream. Would that be why I'm itching?

The latch may not be deep enough. I haven't looked at the nipple to see if it's white afterwards, but I'll have an opportunity to soon so I'll post back. I have seen that after he nurses there are teeny tiny bumps on the areola area that seem to be pimple-like, in that they seem to have a little whitehead. I know it's a lot of information, sorry!

This is my favorite thrush site. It has helped me IMMENSELY! Good Luck!

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/thrush.html
    ...wow, I can't believe we've been
    for 10 months!

I knew right away I had thrush on my nipples. Itchy all the time and cracking with a crust. Your LO rash might be a yeast rash from your antibiotics. Your pedi can diagnose. And if he finds your LO has thrush you can use the meds your LO gets and put it on your nipples. For now, until you get a diagnosis, I would wipe nipples down before and after feedings and leave your nipples bare for a little while to let them get good and dry. I would definately get rash looked at though. If it is a yeast rash those can get real bad real fast. Oh, and you can absolutely keep BFing.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

MadilynsMommy - thanks for the tips. Just wipe nipples with a warm wet cloth, or use something on them?