Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How Much

Default How Much

So how much cereal/ fruit/ veggies should i be feeding my baby? I am going to ask he doctor too but I just never know if I am giving him enough? We only do solids once a day right now and for the most part I just do rice cereal. he just turned 7 months 3/23

Default Re: How Much

One way to approach it is the same way you nurse, on his cues.
    He will probably tell you when he is full or not interested by turning his head or becoming distracted by something else.
    Your job is to offer him healthy foods, but it his his job to eat them at his own pace. This becomes important to remember when he enters toddlerhood!
    Solids right now are for experimenting, and getting the hang of eating stuff - not to replace breast milk, that will come after the first year.
    It sounds like your doing ok, but your worried he's not eating enough?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

You really shouldn't worry too much about it. My son still nurses A LOT and he's 13 1/2 months. There are days when he consumes virtually no solid food whatsoever and other days when he's quite hungry.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

yes ok I am on the same page as you guys then people were making me feel like i should be replacing feedings at this point.

At that age, DS ate a few little bites of banana or an "ice cube" of sweet potato or applesauce a day (or every other day). So, about a tablespoon of food. I agree, don't worry about the amount at this point. Your lo will let you know when he wants more.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I started Andy out on rice cereal (about a Tbsp, dry) once daily, then worked up to twice daily. When he mastered that, I started adding 1 oz veggie with supper and then later, 1 oz fruit to lunch. He's 8 months now, and eats about 2 Tbsp cereal with 2 oz fruit or veggie at lunch, and 2 oz fruit and veggie at supper. But I go by his cues too. If he isn't really interested, I stop, and if he wants more, we keep going. He still nurses or takes 5 oz EBM about 6 times/day.