Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to give juice??

Default When to give juice??

I tried searching this but didn't find anything...

Just wondering when to introduce juice. Does my ds need it?? Can it wait?? He's 9mo. Thank you.
    June 29, 2007 First day of motherhood to my son.

Default Re: When to give juice??

My take on juice is never. Unless you need to get extra calories in.
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks

You don't need to give juice. We do give it diluted in water sometimes because:
    1.) DS usually won't eat fruit in any form
    2.) certain juices help with constipation (which is a recurring problem for him)
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

DS didn't have juice until he was 12 months old and that was a one time deal. It's not needed and I don't want him to get used to drinking sweet stuff since he's pretty good about drinking plain water right now. If you do offer it I would dilute it a lot.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Here is a link: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...aby-juice.html

Juice is considered empty calories because it does not contain the fiber that the actual fruit does. My ped recommended not giving juice on a regular basis. If you do give juice, it is recommended that you dilute it with water or use it to flavor water.

Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I'm going with never. As someone who stopped drinking it to lose weight, and now drinks it diluted...when I taste juice, pure juice, it tastes like Kool Aid. You just don't know how sweet it is when you grow up thinking it's normal. My son is 27months old and if he EVER gets juice, which has happened a handful of times, between 18months and now, it's a HUGE treat deal.

Way too lazy for formula

Great feedback. I was never a big fan of giving it to my ds but boy there are so many people that do. BUT they aren't breastfeeders and in my mind (am I weird) breastfeeders and non breastfeeders are different as far as what they give their babies....... I am glad I'm not alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    June 29, 2007 First day of motherhood to my son.

I agree with the "never" pp. We just always gave water. (I know what you mean though, all the other moms I know automatically give apple juice). I also have read that juice can cause stomach cramping, and give your LO a bellyache.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I'm another person who says "never". We only give it for constipation or as a treat when they are vomiting, to help keep any liquid down. It's diluted 1/2 and 1/2 whenever they get it.

My pediatrician said that if we do choose to give it, to wait til at least a year, then no more than 4oz/day, diluted to 8oz.

Quote Originally Posted by bfly629 View Post
    Great feedback. I was never a big fan of giving it to my ds but boy there are so many people that do. BUT they aren't breastfeeders and in my mind (am I weird) breastfeeders and non breastfeeders are different as far as what they give their babies....... I am glad I'm not alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think what you start them on is what they will prefer anyway. We typically only give water, and DD loves water. My parents brought her a happy meal one day with the juice box. She just played with the box (liked to see it squirt juice out of the straw ) but she did not drink it. She wanted her water!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)