Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! I'm having trouble relactating.

Default Help! I'm having trouble relactating.

My son was born on 6-7-06. He is completely tongue-tied and I have taken him to four different pediatricians, and they will not clip his tongue. I had to use a breast shield exclusively in order to get him to latch on.

Things were okay for the first week or so, but then he wasn't gaining weight properly and he was working too hard to nurse. His pediatrician recommended that I supplement with formula and start pumping to feed him out of a bottle instead so that he won't have to work as hard to nurse and it will be easier on his tongue.

I rented a Medela Symphony pump and started pumping right away. At first I was able to pump 4-5 ounces each time. Over the next weeks, my supply severely diminished. I am now giving my son formula all the time execpt for what I can actually pump and that is at most less than a 1/2 ounce.

I desperately want to relactate because I know that breastmilk is best for him, even if it is out of a bottle.

My doctor's only advice was to get some rest and keep trying. Is there anything else that I can be doing?

Default Re: Help! I'm having trouble relactating.

I am going through this right now as well. I am going on my second week of relactating and now only get a couple of drops (literally) when I pump. The only thing I can tell you are things that were told to me.

1) the fenugreek herbal pills 2 three times a day.

2) pump 8 - 12 times a day

3) try to get you LO on your breast as often as possible

4) a lot of skin to skin contact

Thats what I am trying to do and believe it or not the drops are an improvement. I also ordered one of those SNS things hoping that will help get my DD to my breast. Right nw she gets very frustrated when I try.

Default Re: Help! I'm having trouble relactating.

Andrea's tips are great, and you can read more detail here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

(Fenugreek needs to be takrn in large doses- 3 pills, 3 times per day)