Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to pumping and going back to work - questions

Default Re: New to pumping and going back to work - questions

I find I'm the most full in the morning and can pump at least a bottle's worth (4-5 oz) and still have milk for my baby to nurse on afterward, but that's also because she sleeps through the night so I'm really full! I've been pumping every morning, on days I work and days I don't...both to build supply in the fridge and freezer, and to increase my supply, and it's going great. How much you can get at one pumping depends on how much you produce. I seem to make more milk with my second than I did with my first, and I pump for 20-25 min. one time/day, and get 8-10 oz. in one sitting (usually because I'm so full by then I'm about to burst). I've been back to work for 4 weeks, pumping only one time during the day. I only work 2 days/ week, but I still thought it would take it's toll. It hasn't! The other days she nurses on demand, and I make sure she nurses twice in the morning before we go, once when she gets up and then right before we go to the car. I have a 3 year old as well.

Cool! That sounds like it's going great - gives me some hope.

I forgot to mention I nurse on one side at a time. Have since she was born. Originally it was to give more hind milk and less foremilk per feeding, for calories and because I've heard it helps avoid milk allergies. But I have found I get fuller, due to totally emptying each breast. Therefore I have at least 2 letdowns, and feel I have more to offer each time, even after pumping.

It has made for some lopsided days, though! Especially in the beginning!

Hope that's helpful!

This has been a useful thread for me, as I will be going back to teach in 2 weeks, until the school year ends (7 weeks). Unfortunately, I teach full time as well. I am going to have to try to pump during my 3 breaks during the day, but I don't see how I will be able to do that and get all my work done too! I am going to try pumping in the morning before feeding my LO...I think before the feed might work better because I will be fuller and the milk will come out more readily than after a feed. It's harder for a pump to coax milk out of emptier breasts than it is for a baby! Good luck, I hope you are able to pump efficiently!

I turns out I only have to be back for the last 2 weeks - that's 6 days total since I jobshare. Then I have a week at home before my Vegas trip. KNock on wood, but I think I can get through that w/o stopping BF.