Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to pumping and going back to work - questions

Question New to pumping and going back to work - questions

Hi there!
    My 2nd son is 5 weeks old and I'm going to go back to teaching soon. I'll be part time for about 3 weeks, which is nice because summer break is coming right up. But those few days away from home is going to be bad on the BFing. I'd like to keep it up at least through the summer - if I can get through those couple of weeks.

I wasn't able to BF with my first for more than 6 weeks - BAD thrush. So I've made it that far at least.

1. How does one start pumping? I did this morning after the first feeding and I think it wrecked the rest of the day. He wanted the breast all day and yesterday he was fine with every few hours. I want to build up a stash not only for work, but when I leave for 2 nights at the end of May.

2. When I am back at work, I won't be able to pump for long periods of time. I teach from 7:30am until 12, so I could pump between 12 and 1. Then I teach the rest of the day until 4:30. So can I make it on one pumping per day?

3. If those work days wreck my supply, can I take BFing back up during the summer after my school is out?

Thanks!

Default Re: New to pumping and going back to work - questions

To add one more thing -

My DH leaves early (6:15) and gets home around 6:30 because he works 4 10 hour days. I also have a 3 year old to prep for the sitter and then he's here when we come home. So how do you girls pump right before/after work and get a toddler ready or watch them too?

can you pump in the car. i know it might not be the safest, but once you get pumping down in becomes quite easy. sometimes this works if i can not pump in the morning before i leave the house; however, i don't have a toddler to deal with, just my LO.

for getting off to a great start with your LO

1. I always pumped right after a feeding like you did, but if that doesn't work, you could try pumping one breast while you nurse on the other, or if your LO sleeps longer stretches at night, you could pump while he's sleeping.

2. I'm not sure you'd be able to pump enough for your LO in one session a day. But if it's only a few days a week, you could probably keep up by pumping on your off days. What you might do to decrease what he needs while you're gone is BF when you drop him off and pick him up from the sitter's. But I've always pumped 3x a day at work, so maybe other moms will have tips on how you could get more in one session.

3. I'd say as long as you're pumping at least once a day and nursing your LO on demand at home, you should have no problems BFing full time after the 3 weeks of work, even if you find you have to supplement a little while he's at the sitter's.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

I actually can't pump in the car because my drive is very very short. I work at the school in my neighborhood, si it's a 30 sec drive to the sitter and then another 30 sec to the school.

So it's ok for the sitter to give formula during that time?

I teach too and am gone from 7:30 to 3:30 so my days are a little shorter than yours. Have you talked with the AP or the principal yet? I did and managed to get a 20 min. "pump break". They have arranged it so that I have an aid or campus security watch my class for 20 minutes. I guess that is how long they legally can watch a class. You should ask to find out- it never hurts to ask.
    My second day back no one came and I was leaking all over the place by lunch time. I did however pump more than enough during that one sesson than my DD needed the next day.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

Hi I am not a teacher, but I work from 7 - 3... I think if you pump that one time that you can and nurse in demand and pump it will be ok.... try to nurse/pump at least 8x in 24 hrs to keep supply...

I pump whenever I can and nurse all night to keep my supply when my day is too busy, and cant get a break ....

However, not a bad idea if you talk to the principal about it... I am sure they can arrenge something for you...

Quote Originally Posted by blkjacq View Post
    I actually can't pump in the car because my drive is very very short. I work at the school in my neighborhood, si it's a 30 sec drive to the sitter and then another 30 sec to the school.

So it's ok for the sitter to give formula during that time?
    Pp may disagree, but I'd say you could probably give some formula for those 3 weeks if you need to, though I'd give as much BM as possible first and make sure that your LO isn't being overfed while at the sitter. Any formula you give will change the supply and demand of BFing, so you'll have to work to build your supply back up after the school year ends if you use it. That said, if you're doing the best you can to maintain your supply in the meantime (lots of BFing at home and no unnecessary formula) you should be able to get back to exclusive BFing when you're home again.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

I found the best way to build up a milk-supply is to pump on one side while you breastfeed on the other...that way you enjoy the benefit of a double-let down. Another option may be to pump just before your infant's 1st feeding (if the baby is sleeping for long periods at night)...b/c then you are so full and you are never really truly "empty" after pumping...when it is time to feed your baby, he will still be able get what he needs. I have to say I have utmost admiration for you and any other teacher who pumps at work...I know teaching is not the most condusive profession for bfeeding/pumping...Good luck to you!

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to pump while I can over the next few weeks - at least once a day, I hope.

I'm a little confused if it's better to pump before or after the first feeding. ?? I guess I'll just see what works out.