Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Update... Again

Default Update... Again

Well, I called back my lactation consultant much to my husband's pocket books dismay. And we reintroduced the ol' SNS. So she is back on my breast, and the SNS is still a pain. So far she is staying on when i use the SNS, and sucking so much better. I feel like we made alot of progress. I have had 3 feedings strictly on my boobs so far. And i am so happy. I don't even care if it takes 3 months to get her to stay latched on without the SNS at this point. Apparently she is too impatient for a letdown. It is still a struggle to get her on even with the SNS, but hey at least she's on there. Wish me luck. And thank you for all you advice and help! I welcome even more advice if you have any!

Default Re: Update... Again

No advice, but here's a and my sincerest wishes for . Keep us updated. Go you!

yes, keep us posted!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Glad you're making progress with the SNS, you're doing great!

No more SNS today!!! my body started responding and letting down right when i pick her up, or roll her onto me, for a feeding!!! Our bodies are amazing!!! I have been nursing her all day today to up my supply and because i missed it. No i just have to wean her off the nipple shield !!! talk about breastfeeding interventions! For a while i felt like my bobs were mechanical with all my contaptions attached. any tips on weaning off the nip shield?

Good for you!! That's wonderful news!!

Some resources that might help you in weaning from the nipple shield:

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul00p39.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...d.html#weaning

Keep up the great work, mama!!

Tiana

Well, I have some bad news. Things were going well the first day back, then we hit a brick wall early the next morning. She woke up very hungry and I was having a hard time having a letdown because she was latching on and off and screaming. I fed her what we could with her coming on and off, then she fell asleep. This continued over the next two days of latching on and off and crying and fussing. I reintroduced the SNS to give her the faster flow right away, and she still refused the breast. Her pees and poos dropped down to only having 4 pees by 6 PM and no poos. She was screaming and fighting so hard at the breast, she would just fall asleep after the struggle only taking in maybe 1 oz. (i am renting a scale). I had to supplement her again with a bottle becuase she would take my breast even with the SNS.... I even tried to finger feed her and she would do the same thing. So now we are back to square one with her refusing the breast. My supply also suffered because she wasn't taking enough out after the first day. I began full time pumping again, and my output is 2 oz every 3 hours . I just ordered domperidone, so hopefully that will help. At this point i dont know what to do... I guess just keep waiting for her to want to latch on. We seem to have this problem of her accepting the breast, then sucking until she falls asleep only getting 1 oz... then waking up hungry and refusing the breast. And my letdowns are soooo slow because of the stress of keeping her on. I need help and encouragemnt...Will she get it one day?

Also occasionally when she latches on with out the nip shield my nipple comes out lipstick shaped. I know this isn't good but every time my lac consultant comes over she says her latch is fine, how can this be? I know she barely has areola in her mouth because i have small areolas anyway, and i can see a bit under her bottom lip after she latches. I am beginning to question the credibility of my LC. Or maybe i am wrong

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. How have the past few days been?

Many of the mothers here could tell you that relactation often feels like 2 steps forward, one step back. You are making progress, even when it doesn't feel like it. Be patient with yourself and your baby, and keep at it.

I'm glad to hear that you are receiving support from your LC. Have you been able to contact a local LLL leader?

HTH. Hang in there. We're here for you.

Tiana