Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: intake at DC

Default intake at DC

So this is starting our 3rd week at daycare. My LO is only taking 4-5 oz while I'm at work (he is at dc for 7 hours). I know they are suppose to take min 1 oz an hour while you are away. I'm so scared that he is going to start losing weight and that he is going hungry. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this too and how it went? Also, people keep telling me its a transition...well how long does it take for them to get adjusted ( i heard it was around 2 weeks)?

Me (25)
    DH (26)
    DS Born December 5, 2007

Nursed 1 year and we are going on strong!

I am:
    , , , and

Default Re: intake at DC

My DD took about that same amount when I first went back. That was after totally refusing the bottle for the first three days (I had to leave to nurse). Anyway it took her about a week to take more. She gradually started eating more. She now takes 4-5 ounces in the morning and afternoon and I nurse at lunch. (i've been back to work for 2 mo) Is he eating more often when you are together? I would just watch is diapers and nurse as much as he wants while at home (including at night). Hopefully he will start eating more soon. Good Luck. It will get easier.

Mom to Lucy born 11/28/07

, at home and , at work

Yea he nurses a lot when we are together and went from sleeping through the night to waking up every 2-3 hours to nurse (good thing we cosleep). His diaper output is lower then when we are together 100% but he poops A LOT...and when we are tegether it is about 5-6 times a day and days that he is at daycare its like 3. Do you think I should be worried?

Me (25)
    DH (26)
    DS Born December 5, 2007

Nursed 1 year and we are going on strong!

I am:
    , , , and

As long as he is getting at least 6 wet diapers a day I wouldn't worry too much yet. Hopefully his intake during the day will pick up. Until then just nurse as much as he wants when you are together. My DD started waking a lot to eat when I first went back too. I understand how hard it is to be at work thinking about whether baby is hungry. Good Luck

Mom to Lucy born 11/28/07

, at home and , at work

I wouldn't be worried as long as wet diapers are still there. It's pretty common. When I went back to work, my baby did the same thing. He only ate the bare minimum to take the edge off during the day and then he wanted to nurse ALL night when we were together. I've been back to work two months and now he eats more during the day than he does at night and his night wakings to feed have started getting less and less too. I just let him nurse as much as he wanted when we were together at first and that usually meant from the moment I got home from work until I put him to bed and then several times a night. So, my hubby had to start cooking dinner and taking care of everything else in the evenings because I had a baby attached to my boob all night. But, it has gotten a LOT better. HTH.
    Mommy to James. Born 8-25-07 all naturally.

a LOT! a lot and a little too.

some babies are reverse cyclers. They will refuse bottles when away from mom but will nurse more frequently to make up for that when they are with mom. That is probably why he has started to wake up to nurse. Some moms actually try to get their lo to reverse cycle because it is hard to keep up pumping the amount they eat.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

From your siggy, I see that at 4 months, your LO is already bigger than my LO at 6 months! Anyway, it's totally normal... At 6.5 months, my LO isn't eating any more at dc than she was when she started dc at 14 weeks. I still just send 3 bottles with 4 ounces each, and it's usually a struggle for them to get her to completely finish all 3 of them. I figure once she starts really downing/chugging all her bottles and still seems hungry afterward, then I will start sending more bm. It already kills me when I read her "my day" sheet that says how much she drank, and at some feedings she will still only drink 3 ounces... They throw that other 1 ounce away! I certainly don't want them force-feeding her, so I guess it's ok... but I work so hard to fill up those bottles and then at least a couple of ounces gets thrown away every day. Sheesh...

Also, my LO nurses all night long, so I think she is a bit of a reverse-cycler... Which in a way kinda makes me feel special, that she's "holding out" for mom, but man, am I exhausted!! We are now co-sleeping as a result of how much she's waking to nurse at night... But how can I really deny her when she's barely drinking 12 ounces while at dc for 9 hours??? We are just now starting solids, but she's still not eating that much yet...

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Our dc provider tried turning the lights off and holding my DD up really close to her, also in the kitchen that was attached to the infant room (totally minimized noise and distraction) and she took her whole bottle. She's also using the First Years Breastflow, the third type we tried with her, if that helps. They had to do all her bottles in the dark for about 2 weeks, and now she's able to do it with the lights on.