Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Left side decided to stop making milk

Default Left side decided to stop making milk

After the masitis in my left breast it has stopped making milk. DS will eat on the right and be full in 5 mins. On the Left side he eats for like 30 mins then screams for the right side. I know all the tricks to bringing up your supply but what about when you are only trying to get one side back? Should I block feed offering that one twice in a row? If I try to block feed with it bring my right side down? Should I just always start over there? I dont want to take any of the suppliment herbs because that will make my right side blow up! If I feed only on right and pump the left at each feeding wont that make the right over compensate?

Left has always been my lazy side but it always produced just as much milk as my right it just took longer to clear out. But OZ amounts were the same on both side. The right side would give 3 oz in a pumping in only 5 mins where the left took about 10 minutes but still put out 3oz.

Aslo the left side seems to squirt from 1 hole where the right squirts out of 5 holes. The left doesnt seem to back up and be full even though not all holes squirt. How can I get all teh holes to squirt? I have tried warm water, breast massage before and durring pumpings. I have even switched the pumps. (put the right one on the left and the left on the right) Thinking maybe one had more suction but it didnt!

Default Re: Left side decided to stop making milk

It's normal for one side to produce less than the other, but there are things you can do to help bring up the production on the "low" side. Here's a link with some info:
    www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

Does that help?

Default Re: Left side decided to stop making milk

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post
    It's normal for one side to produce less than the other, but there are things you can do to help bring up the production on the "low" side. Here's a link with some info:
    www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

Does that help?
    thanks, it helped me!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)