Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: He IS Tongue-Tied!

Default He IS Tongue-Tied!

I posted a while back that when ds goes to latch on his tongue is retracted. I met with IBCLC's and they suggested allowing him to self-latch and sucking exercises - none of which worked. Also had him looked at by pediatricians, none noticed anything out of the ordinary, I'm learning many are not very knowledgable in this area unless it's the classic tongue-tie.

Anyways we met with an ENT last week and he told us ds has a very tight/thick upper lip frenulum (no wonder it never flanged out) and a slight tongue tie. He was willing to clip them right then but wanted to put ds under general anethesia, DH and I felt a little uncomfortable about so we decided to wait.

I contacted a IBCLC and she recommended an ENT a little further away who specializes in pediatrics. We met with him today and he was wonderful! Basically said the same thing as the other Dr. - tight upper frenulum and the base of the tongue is thicker than normal and needs to be clipped. DS will have to be put under general anethesia which concerns me but I feel much more comfortable with it. The first ENT basically said "we just give him a little gas". This Dr. went over everything with us and was great with our lo. I'm so glad we decided to wait and were able to find someone we are comfortable with.

His surgery is scheduled in 2 weeks. I wish it was sooner but that's when our new insurance begins. I wish this was identified sooner...I suppose I should have been more persistant. I did visit several lc's and even tried cranio-sacrel therapy. In the beginning I was told numerous times that some babies take longer to figure it out and to just keep trying. Hmmm....5 months of trying! I am so glad I didn't give up, if I did we'd be dealing with other issues down the road.

I'm nervous the day of the surgery. We have to be there at 6:30am and it's scheduled for 7:30am. However, he can't nurse past 3am...I'm going to have one unhappy baby! He's never had a pacifier but maybe I should introduce one? Any other ideas? It's not a real long time but it breaks my heart to think he'll be hungry and want me and I can't nurse him.

This is much longer than anticipated, just needed to share! Hopefully in a few weeks we'll be nursing comfortable!!!

Default Re: He IS Tongue-Tied!

That's wonderful! I'm so happy to hear that you got the diagnosis you were waiting for.

Here is some information about surgery:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-surgery.html

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post
    That's wonderful! I'm so happy to hear that you got the diagnosis you were waiting for.

Here is some information about surgery:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-surgery.html
    Thank you, I didn't even think to look there!!!

How old is your lo? My DS was also tongue tied and he got his clipped by an ENT with no anesthesia at all when he was about 3-4 weeks old. It was really quick and easy and DS cried for maybe a second and then forgot all about it.

He's 5 months. He has to have both the done - under the tongue and upper lip. The upper lip is very thick and will require stitches so it doesn't close back together. I was hoping it could be done w/o general but because he requires stitches he needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by mylittlemonkey View Post
    How old is your lo? My DS was also tongue tied and he got his clipped by an ENT with no anesthesia at all when he was about 3-4 weeks old. It was really quick and easy and DS cried for maybe a second and then forgot all about it.

So glad you finally got an answer on this. I would definitely offer a paci, he may or may not take it, but it's better than nothing At least it might give him some comfort even if he can't have any food. I've let my daughter have one since she was a month old, she only takes it sometimes to help her sleep when she's tired but not hungry and we've never had any problems nursing.