Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Drastic drop in milk during menstruation

Question Drastic drop in milk during menstruation

I just got my period and I have noticed a drastic drop in my milk production the last couple of days. I have read that this is normal but I'm still FREAKING out! My daughter is 7 months old and I plan to breastfeed her the first year so I've got a little bit longer to go. I read that I can take some herbs (Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle and Alfalfa). I'm thinking of taking all 3 of these herbs together. Has anyone else done this? Did you get good results from it? How long should I take it? Besides putting my dauther to my breasts a lot what else can I do? Right now, she seems to get frustrated as soon as she latches on, and I can only assume she's not getting enough. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
    First-time mommy to Danielle 8/16/07
    Wife to Mike 9/29/01

Default Re: Drastic drop in milk during menstruation

I had this problem too, particularly with my first couple of post-partum periods. I took fenugreek, which worked well for me, and I still take it during that time if I need it. I haven't taken the other herbs you mentioned, but fenugreek worked.

Also--in my experience, my supply increases again drastically within a few days even if I don't take fenugreek--I know you're freaking out, but keep nursing and she will be fine! (FWIW, my son was 3 months old when my period returned and just turned 1 last week, so don't think this means the end! )

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. I will definitely take Fenugreek!
    First-time mommy to Danielle 8/16/07
    Wife to Mike 9/29/01

I took only fenugreek and it worked(3 pills 3 x day) but allow 3-5 days to see it work...sometimes less!! FYI every period, I see a dip, then it goes back up a couple days in!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Some mothers do notice a temporary dip in milk production around the time of their cycle. The dip is due to hormonal fluctuations--milk production levels return to normal with the hormones level back out again (usually a few days). Most babies compensate for the dip by nursing more frequently. In other words, it's temporary and usually there is nothing you need to do other than just sit down and nurse baby a little more frequently and take care of YOU. If the dip becomes more bothersome, this info can help:

An effective treatment for these symptoms associated with the return of periods is to add a calcium/magnesium supplement to the diet upon ovulation and continue it through the second or third day of a period. The supplement should be 1500 calcium/750 magnesium but can be as low as 500 calcium/250 magnesium (the higher the dosage the more effective and quicker the results). It should be a combination pill. This much calcium should never be taken alone. If your cycles are not regular and you do not know when you ovulate, you can take the supplement the entire month until you begin to see a pattern to your flow. This type of supplement seems to work as it prevents the drop in blood calcium levels which occurs mid-cycle and continues through the second to third day of a period. It is this drop which is associated with the nipple tenderness and drop in milk supply as well as the uterine cramping so often experienced with menstruation. You only need to take one pill a day.
    http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/menstruation.html
    HTH!

Unhappy Re: Drastic drop in milk during menstruation

That's a great idea about the calcium / mag i will be trying that.
    i took fenugreek last week and ended up throwing away like 16 oz's of sour smelling milk it was very painful to see all of it go to waste i can't prove it was the fenugreek but it was the only thing i had different . http://forums.llli.org/images/smilies/confused0024.gif

that's for that... I will try to iget some supplements!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)