Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camel's milk

Default Re: Camel's milk

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Ann View Post
    I agree! taste it!!

And a quick moment to point out that I am juvenile and I laughed when I read that statement above. Actually, I got the hump and then I got milk!
    Oh, Kelly, you're such a dirty woman, I love it!!!!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna562 View Post
    I also must know what it tastes like! BTW did DH buy it with all that knowledge, or dd he just think it was cool/weird?

Was this the neighborhood store?
    Well, I live in the United Arab Emirates right now where, as you can imagine, camels are plentiful. Camel's milk is sold right alongside cow's milk at the major grocery stores. Strangely, I can't find goat's milk. Goat meat is readily consumed here - you would think milk would also be widely available.

My DH has been suggesting camel's milk for a little while. I had to overcome the 'instinctive' revulsion I felt towards it to consider giving it to Laith. It didn't take long once I did research on it. There was a tag on the bottle that said something to the effect of, "Camel's milk is closer to breast milk than any other animal milk because it contains theta-something globulin and [another math symbol]-something globulin."

The thing is, I've never liked milk by itself. I will drink some milks if they are in coffee but I will only have cow's milk in cereal. I'm trying to overcome these eating issues but I was an extremely picky eater for 2/3 of my life. I am much more adventurous with plants/herbs/veggies/fruits than I am with animal products.

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    I have never tasted it myself since I have never seen it around but I wondered why do you think it is gross? It is just another animal like cows or goats. I will definitely try it if I ever come across.
    Very true. I completely agree. But as I mentioned above, I've never really had cow's milk straight-up so camel's milk is an even bigger stretch.

We drink cow's milk and eat the animals we do in N. America because those animals were the first to be domesticated there. Had camels been domesticated long ago, then their meat and milk would be the norm for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Mommy View Post
    i've never seen camels milk, we tried giving livy goat's milk for a while, but i did not see camels milk as an option at any of the specialty stores in my area.
    The problem with camel's milk is that it doesn't hold up well to the irradiation process (I think this is what it's called) that is used for cow's milk. Hence, it's shelf life is short. The UK is trying to figure out a way to make it longer-lasting so they can import it.

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Taste it! Taste it! Taste it!

I really want to know what its like. And since YOU have it in your fridge, I think you should let us know
    Quote Originally Posted by haven View Post
    She has a point..it is in your fridge. I think it's your duty to let us know what it tastes like!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Ann View Post
    I agree! taste it!!
    I'll see what I can do for you ladies. It might take me a few days to get up the nerve to actually drink it rather than just taste it. Sorry...
    Last edited by AndreaUAE; April 2nd, 2008 at 02:30 AM.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Taste it! Taste it! Taste it!

I really want to know what its like. And since YOU have it in your fridge, I think you should let us know
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!

You know, I have never been brave enough to even try goat's milk and that's readily available here in the US.

Just a tip for anyone who normally doesn't like milk, you may find that if you buy organic, non-hormone milk it might appeal better. I am not an "earth mother", either (tongue in cheek ...) just clarifying that I'm a city girl, I buy earth-killing bottled water, use disposable diapers, and whatever else, so I'm not suggesting the organic milk from any agenda. It's just that I truly notice a difference in the taste and texture of the organic/non-hormone milk from the other milk. I can tell the difference in a blindfolded taste test. Plus, it lasts longer before it goes bad. The only bad part is it costs at least twice as much But to me, it's worth it especially because I have, since giving birth, had major cravings for milk.

Doesn't mean you'll really like it, but I definitely think you'd be less grossed out with the organic stuff than the store brand.

Hi Andrea! I think you are referring to pasteurization in your most recent post. I personally think pasteurization is not a good thing for any milk, so raw camel's milk would definitely be better than pasteurized, IMO. OTOH, I recently read The Maker's Diet, which talks about the diet prescribed by God in the Bible. If you are inclined to follow the Bible, then you might be interested to know that it forbids the consumption of cloven-footed animals (and thus, I would assume, their milk as well) that do not have a hard hoof (can't remember the technical term). Just an interesting tidbit to note!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I thought pasteurization was a good thing, although I've never actually reasearched it. Why do you think it's bad? Just curious, and trying to make educated choices for my baby! Thanks!
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion

http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/rawmilk.htm

heres something that explains paserization its written about goats milk but cows milk is treated the same...

In India some children are given buffalo's milk too. I believe it is superior to cow's milk but I have never researched it myself. I think it has higher fat content. Not sure if I was ever given buffalo's milk.

A friend of mine used to have cows at home and they would supply milk to the residents of that area. This milk was not pasteruized. People dont use it directly though. They boil it first. This is common even today.

It is funny.I never paid attention to milk before I started making it myself. Now I see others as competition

Buffalo milk is used a lot to make mozzarella cheese

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    Hi Andrea! I think you are referring to pasteurization in your most recent post. I personally think pasteurization is not a good thing for any milk, so raw camel's milk would definitely be better than pasteurized, IMO. OTOH, I recently read The Maker's Diet, which talks about the diet prescribed by God in the Bible. If you are inclined to follow the Bible, then you might be interested to know that it forbids the consumption of cloven-footed animals (and thus, I would assume, their milk as well) that do not have a hard hoof (can't remember the technical term). Just an interesting tidbit to note!
    Are cows and camels different in terms of their feet? They both have cloven-feet right?