Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camel's milk

Default Camel's milk

L has been having a little camel's milk mixed in with BM during the day. (DH brought some home a few days ago from the supermarket.) I was completely disgusted by the thought of my son drinking it until I went online and found out that it is actually very healthy...

Got milk? Get the hump...
    Camel milk is rich in Vitamin C, unsaturated fat, B vitamins, iron and antibodies. These qualities have, in many parts of the world, helped it to achieve the super-food status that broccolli, blueberries and bananas have enjoyed on the shelves of supermarkets in the UK. For example, in India, Russia and Kazakhstan it is routinely prescribed to convalescing patients. In Africa, camel's milk is believed to provide valuable nutrition for AIDS patients. United Arab Emirates technologists are currently working on camel milk antibodies in an effort to engineer treatments to combat Alzheimer's disease, hepatitis C infection and certain cancers.

Researchers in India have found that a diet that includes camel's milk can reduce the amount of insulin required by patients to control their Type-1 diabetes. Insulin-like proteins in the milk can apparently supplement the therapeutic effect of the patients' medication.

And I even found a camel dairy "farm" in the U.S: http://www.cameldairy.com/

Still, I won't be consuming it myself. I'm not very adventurous when it comes to new food...
    Last edited by AndreaUAE; April 1st, 2008 at 01:33 PM.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: Camel's milk

How cool! Thanks for the info. Maybe you could mix it into a smoothie, and you'd never know the difference!
    ...wow, I can't believe we've been
    for 10 months!

My first instinct is but I suppose there are lots of people in the world who'd think cow milk sounds gross, too. That's really cool that you're able to expose ds to different perspectives like that. I might have had to taste it myself...just to see.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    My first instinct is but I suppose there are lots of people in the world who'd think cow milk sounds gross, too. That's really cool that you're able to expose ds to different perspectives like that. I might have had to taste it myself...just to see.
    I thought about it today. I imagine I might be able to put a drop on my tongue before long. But a full swig? I dunno about that...
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Taste it! Taste it! Taste it!

I really want to know what its like. And since YOU have it in your fridge, I think you should let us know
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Taste it! Taste it! Taste it!

I really want to know what its like. And since YOU have it in your fridge, I think you should let us know
    She has a point..it is in your fridge. I think it's your duty to let us know what it tastes like!
    ...wow, I can't believe we've been
    for 10 months!

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaUAE View Post
    [I]Got milk? Get the hump...
    I agree! taste it!!

And a quick moment to point out that I am juvenile and I laughed when I read that statement above. Actually, I got the hump and then I got milk!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I also must know what it tastes like! BTW did DH buy it with all that knowledge, or dd he just think it was cool/weird?

Was this the neighborhood store?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I have never tasted it myself since I have never seen it around but I wondered why do you think it is gross? It is just another animal like cows or goats. I will definitely try it if I ever come across.

i've never seen camels milk, we tried giving livy goat's milk for a while, but i did not see camels milk as an option at any of the specialty stores in my area.