Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lactose intolerance???

Default Lactose intolerance???

While I was trying to wean DS he would drink atleast 3 8oz sippy cups full of milk a day. I have since stopped trying to wean since he obviously isn't ready. While he was drinking so much milk he was having 3-5 big poops a day with the color and consistancy of Grey Poupon mustard.

I'm wondering if he isn't lactose intolerant. I nursed him all day yesterday instead of giving him cow milk and he only pooped once and it was it's regular consistancy. No one in mine or DH's family is lactose intolerant so I don't really know anything about it. Wouldn't he have trouble with all milk products? Or should I have been alternating the cow milk with water?

Any thoughts or past experiences people would like to share? I'm not sure what to do here.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Default Re: Lactose intolerance???

that would be alot of cows milk....
    how's he doing with soild foods?
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032100.asp
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; April 11th, 2008 at 08:47 AM.

He wasn't eating a lot of solids the last week but I think that was more teething, or he could be really full from all the milk

I gave him a small sippy of milk this morning with breakfast and I'll try more water today and see how it goes. Man am I hoping those mustard poops are gone for good

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

how many times in 24 hours is he nursing?
    weaning should be slow and steady.
    watch baby for any sign of destress and you don't want plugged ducts or worse a breast infection.
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBweaning.html

heres more info on cows milk and toddlers
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

It's best to limit the amount of cow's milk that your child receives to 2-3 cups (16-24 ounces) per day, since too much cow's milk in a child's diet can put him at risk for iron-deficiency anemia (because milk can interfere with the absorption of iron) and may decrease the child's desire for other foods.

Milk is much more difficult to digest than cultured or fermented milk products, like yogurt, kefir, cheese, sour cream, etc. because it has much more lactose in relation to the quantity of lactase (enzyme that breaks down lactose). Once the milk is cultured or fermented, the amount of lactase goes way up and lactose goes way down, making it much easier to digest. Not sure if that's what you're asking but just thought I'd throw it out there!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

lactose intolerance in children under 3 or 5 years old is extremly rare. Dairy allergy is NOT but a lactose intolerance is. I forget exactly why but you can google it

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

The reason it is rare is because babies consume milk for their primary source of nutrition during the first year. ALL milk has lactose in it, including human milk. In fact, I am fairly certain human milk has more lactose than cow's. So, unless he has been ill recently, which can lead to a temporary lactose intolerance, that is probably not the issue. He would be reacting to your milk as well. Does he have any issues with yogurt or cheese? If so, I might suspect a cow milk sensitivity or allergy.

The increased poop on cow's milk compared to breastmilk is most likely due to the increased waste. Humans cannot digest cow's milk the same as they can human milk. See a comparison near the bottom of the linked article below:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr06p82.html

Your milk has lactose, too, so highly doubtful that lactose intolerance was the cause.