Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: gagging

Default gagging

My DS has been experimenting with solids in pureed form for about 4 months. He is now just shy of 10 months old.

He has been a "good eater"...but anything remotely chunky or pasty causes him to gag as if he may vomit. (and did when a stupid biter biscuit was bitten and a big chunk came off) I have cautiously tried some chunkier foods - tiny chunks - and even that makes him gag. Some of the pastier veggies need to be mixed with soupier fruits such as apples.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. Is there any cause for concern? how often should I continue trying food with a little more texture?
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: gagging

Does he ever watch you eat and look interested in what you're eating?

What about eating off his tray/feeding himself? Does he try to grab the spoon and feed himself the pureé?

What foods is he eating when you notice his gagging?

Sorry to seem so inquisitive, I just want to make sure I get a clear picture.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

He seems very interested in whatever I am eating, but that goes for whatever I am doing...

He has gagged/vomited on certain vegetables - I try everything first to make sure it's not bad (I buy organic baby foods)...anyways, he gags on stuff that is pasty, such as mixed vegetables with potato in it, peas, squash. He eats sweet potato fine. Most other veggies get mixed in with fruit, with me trying to add less fruit each time.

The biter biscuit was an issue, as soon as it broke off a chunk, all of lunch came up. Scared me silly. but I assume the gag reflex is to protect him from choking?

Today we tried some apple/oatmeal with a little chunk - Earth's Best Stage 3 in case you know it...gagged. I thinned it with pear, and any spoonful with the littlest fleck in it had him gagging...but he did eat some...and everything stayed down. If he began gagging I gave him a taste of just pear as swallowing will supress the gag reflex (TMI, but I read that in playboy years ago and found that it actually works).

Tried a little bit of peach - tiny little chunk. Gag.
    Kat

Forgot to answer about feeding himself. Not interested. Plays with food, but doesn't try to eat it.

Tries to eat everything else though! He seems to accept being fed, but wants to brush his own teeth - quite a game of biting the toothbrush until I give in and let him hold it.

I am not worried about nutrition, he is still BFing quite a lot. Just don't want him to have issues.
    Kat

My LO is the exact same way. Any thicker stage 2 foods like peas she thinks she is going to choke on. I don't know why she does it, but you are not alone. I have tried giving her fresh banana sliced really thin, very soft fresh sw.potato, no dice. Nothing actually comes back up when she does it, she just gags and spits it out. She is 9 mo. today, and it seems to be getting a little bit better- gave her squash the other day, which is pretty thick, but not chunky. She definitely cannot handle chunkies.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

My ds is almost the same age as yours. We had issues for the longest time with him eating just pureés. If he didn't chase each bite with sucking his thumb, he'd gag.

Each meal though, I'd put some puree on his tray to let him play around with it. Eventually-and I mean after a LONG time of just playing and smearing it around-he wanted to put it in his mouth. After he did this a few time, then I started puting the tiniest pieces on his tray of sweet potato or really soft pear. Then he'd play with those and over time put those to his mouth. Banana is another good food to start with giving small chunks.

Another thing I noticed is when he'd watch me eat, he'd make a chewing motion with his jaw. That was another signal to me that he was ready for chunkier foods.

It sounds like you're doing a good job following his lead. I'd say let him play with what ever he's being fed by spoon on his tray too. A baby-spoonful will do. Yes, it's messy, but hey, life's messy and he's a baby. He wants to know about his world, that includes the feel of the food he's eating. This age is all about discovery and exploration. He's just taking his time and that is just fine. And yes, gagging prevents choking and as terrifying as it is, it's a necessary thing. The more times that passes and the more competent an eater he is, the less I panic when he gags.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I would back off on offering thick foods by the spoon and let him self-feed those. At first my DD would just play or eat one piece, now she eats everything within reach! She was not a horrible gagger, but did gag at thick oatmeal or thicker purees. (Like mashed potatoes mixed with pureed peas)...when she was given cubes of potatoes and whole cooked peas, down they went!!! (After some trial and error).

My LO was the same way. I thought she would never advance to chunkier foods. Now she is 11months old and is eating everything and all sorts of textures, however she only started doing this about two weeks ago. You should give him a couple of days to a week and try again. Watch for chewing that means he's ready to take the next step. If you have it in your area, I would try Earth's Best organic stage 3 Chunky Orchard Fruit. It has very few tiny chunks in it and it's a good start for stage 3. My LO didn't start finger foods until she got her top teeth in. It's a wait and see game. Just keep trying he'll let you know when he's ready. I wouldn't start worrying until he's a year. By then he should be picking up tiny things and putting them in his mouth (doesn't have to food). Good luck!
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

Thanks everyone. He did eat some crumbs from a biter cookie today. Cracked me up, he pushed the big pieces out with his tongue, but the little crumbs that were stuck inside his mouth went down fine.

Maybe the thick purees are just gross to him, who knows. He does love to pick up little things - he can spot a fleck on the carpet from across the room. He also loves to pick up pieces of my hair and try to eat them. Gross, and my hair is down to my waist, so this is an issue.

I am impressed though, because he is really good about listening to me when I say stop or no, and especially "not in mouth". He is too much fun.

I haven't seen that particular Earth's Best choice - the stage 3 my store carries is banana strawberry (which has no chunks), apple cinnaman oatmeal (major gagging here) and some soupy things that I don't intend to feed him. I'll have to try some other markets to find other varieties.
    Kat