Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping for a 26 weeker, very low supply...

Default pumping for a 26 weeker, very low supply...

I am getting pretty desperate with this pumping thing! I have been pumping from day one (two weeks ago) with the Symphony double pump. I am at two weeks and am getting only 100 ml a day. I am pumping every 3 hours a night (for 20 minutes, so about 2.5 hours sleep between pumpings) and about every two hours during the day with power pumping sessions in there (10 minutes on, 10 minutes off for an hour). I know I can talk to my dr. about meds. Anyone else start out with such low supply and catch up at all? I am so sad about this. Anyones supply jump after they started kangaroo care? I am thinking that some contact with my baby might help...My supply double from 50ml a day a few days ago when I started getting more sleep.My milk got whiter around that time also. Could my milk supply just be late?? I am eating and drinking enough, for sure. I guess I just need hope that there is still a chance I can produce enough. How does having a premie affect milk supply? I started manual expression and massage before/during pumping yesterday and now my supply is at about 150ml a day...
    I keep reading that your supply on days 7-10 really show the supply you will have for the rest of that nursing relationship. I am really hoping that isn't true for me...Thank you so much!

Default Re: pumping for a 26 weeker, very low supply...

i don't know anything about having premies. but i hardly got any milk pumping in the beginning 7-10 days, even when i was engorged. now i have a real good supply 16 weeks later and i did not take any herbs,etc. hang in there. you'll build your supply up. you're doing great!

Karen J is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I feel for you, I've been right where you are now. It sounds like you are doing everything right with the pumping and dietwise. Try taking a nap during the day if you are able too, sleep seemed to help me to some degree and perhaps try some oatmeal in it's various forms too, a lot of Mama's here swear by it. Also the kangeroo care definately makes a differance too, plus it's wonderful for you both.

The other thing is trying to relax as much as you can when pumping, read a book, or put the tv on, maybe have a snack and something to drink on hand. I spent so much time watching and fretting that there were times when I hardly got more than a few drops due to getting stressed. And congrats on your tiny one.
    Last edited by Karen J; April 1st, 2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: I am Typo-Woman, fear my wrath!

I, too, am pumping for a 26 weeker. He is now 31 weeks old and I am now making about 30-60mls a session, which I try to do every 3 hours, except for overnight, which is just once at 3am. I had a TOUGH start. I am bipolar and had a psychotic break immediately before the delivery of my baby. I can barely remember my own labor (which I think was short anyhow). All I can remember is that the night before was awful and no one believed that I was in labor (I was in a psych. unit). Well, I went down to the ER at 7:45am and they then sent me right up to OB. I was 10cm dialated and 100% effaced, so they couldn't very well stop the labor at that point. Anyhow, my baby was born at 8:05am. I was discharged shortly thereafter, but I should've been sent back up to the psych floor for stabilization. Well, after seeing my baby in the NICU and getting all worked up, I had another break and was admitted to the hospital against my will. From day one, I was asking for a lacation consultent, but no one came through for me until my med student finally arranged for a visiting nurses service to come with the pump--that was 9 DAYS after my baby was born. So, I was playing catch up, a lot! the first week I pumped I was still in the psych ward, which was extremely stressful (I don't know if you've ever been on one, but you don't want to!). That week, I didn't even pump enough for my milk to go into the bottles--I was lucky if I got more than 5 drops!!! My flow got better once I got home, but it is still improving.

I don't know what your little one is being fed right now, but mine didn't even start oral feeds until I got out of the hospital. He is currently at 16mls every 3 hours, so I'm making plenty for him right now. I think that is one thing to consider to help yourself be less stressed--Are you making enough for your baby NOW? Don't compare yourself to anyone else. As long as you are making enough to feed your little one now, don't worry about it, the milk will come in more as needed.

One thing that helped me was to stop watching the clock. I watch my flow (and a little TV) and stop pumping when the drops slow down to every 20seconds or so. Sometimes, I only pump for 5 minutes, but it beats pumping for 20 minutes only to get the same amount. My lactation consultent told me that it is more beneficial to go for just 5 minutes every hour than to do a "power pumping" marathon for an hour or so of 5 on/ 5 off, etc... As long as you keep increasing (however slowly), you are doing GREAT!!!! Don't forget that ANY amount will help your baby, so don't give up on yourself. Also, don't beat yourself up over it. You may find if you cut back to 5 minutes every 1-3 hours, you are less stressed and will actually increase in milk.

Good Luck!

PS My little guy had high bilirubin(to the point of being very bronze in color) among many other problems and everyone is impressed with how quickly it is clearing. I am convinced it is my breast milk, YAY FOR BREAST MILK FOR PREEMIES!

Hang in there and keep up the frequent pumping! Because your baby arrived so early, your body may need more time to "build" milk-making tissue. (There's a fair amount of variation for this.) Also, depending on timing of steroids usually given for baby's lung maturation and any health condition you may have been dealing with, e.g. pre-eclampsia initial production may be affected.

May help to know if you have any health conditions that can affect production, e.g. low thyroid, PCOS, etc. or whether you experienced any complications with the pregnancy, including post-delivery e.g. hemorrhage, retained placental fragment, etc. Also, are you having to take any medications, prescribed vitamins, etc. I'm assuming you haven't had any hormonal contraceptive since your baby's birth?

Keep pumping!

One extra thought -- is your pumping schedule working for you? Is it allowing you to get some uninterrupted sleep? Sometimes it's possible to "play around" with the pumping routine to get enough sessions in, yet do it in a way that works better for a particular mother. Can end up getting more milk...

(Sorry if this has been covered -- I'm on the run today and only skimmed through!)