Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: spit-up and hindmilk vs foremilk

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    149

    Default spit-up and hindmilk vs foremilk

    I was reading replies to other posts and it struck a question....

    My son eats on one breast at a time. He gets full and we alternate each feeding. Things are actually going wonderfully!!

    But I noticed someone said you cant overfeed a breastfed baby. What exactly is the difference between a brestfed baby and a bottlefed baby that makes a breastfed baby not get overfed but a bottlefed baby can? Does the formula just expand? ok that was a stupid question but I really want to know

    And sometimes mine will finish a feeding on one breast and want more so I offer the second breast and he spits up. But if he finishes one breast and doesnt want more he does not spit up. Isn't this a sign that he got overfed? or is a sign of foremilk then hindmilk and then more foremilk causing too much foremilk?

    I'm not saying she was wrong posting that. I just don't understand all this stuff yet. Im such a noob! I have heard that before but since I wasn't breastfeeding at the time it didn't really trigger in my mind until she said it.



    Aslo, My LC (witch I'm starting to think doesn't know what she is talking about because according to you guys and Kellymom she is giving me bad advise on a lot of things) said that the state released a new statement that if you have over active letdown that the foremilk and hindmilk mix and there is no need to worry about getting the hindmilk at the end because the baby gets just as much hindmilk in the begining????

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    24,287

    Default Re: spit-up and hindmilk vs foremilk

    Here's my understanding of why you can't overfeed a breastfed baby, but you can overfeed a bottle-fed baby.

    First of all, when a baby is breastfeeding, milk only comes out when he is actively sucking. When a baby is bottle-fed, milk drips into his mouth even when he's not sucking. He has to either swallow or actively spit out the bottle or he's going to choke. It's pretty easy for a bottle-fed baby to get overfull, and then to expect that overfull feeling every time they eat. (Not a good pattern to set for later on down the road!)

    Second, breastmilk is a much better product than formula. Unlike formula, it changes composition over the course of a feeding, going from watery (foremilk) to creamy (hindmilk). This change in composition allows a baby to know when he has had enough. If he's mostly just thirsty, he stops when he's had enough foremilk. If he's really hungry, he chows down on hindmilk, too. Formula-fed babies have to eat the same product all the way through a feeding, regardless of whether or not they want a full meal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mommyofmyboys View Post
    And sometimes mine will finish a feeding on one breast and want more so I offer the second breast and he spits up. But if he finishes one breast and doesnt want more he does not spit up. Isn't this a sign that he got overfed? or is a sign of foremilk then hindmilk and then more foremilk causing too much foremilk?
    I wouldn't worry about it. Spitting up is normal, especially when they are full- all it takes is a little tiny burp and bingo, you've got some spit. Just watch your baby's cues- he will let you know when he's done nursing. Sometimes he's going to want both breasts, sometimes not, and either way, because he controls the amount of milk he's taking in, he will get the right mix! Trust him, and trust yourself!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mommyofmyboys View Post
    Aslo, My LC (witch I'm starting to think doesn't know what she is talking about because according to you guys and Kellymom she is giving me bad advise on a lot of things) said that the state released a new statement that if you have over active letdown that the foremilk and hindmilk mix and there is no need to worry about getting the hindmilk at the end because the baby gets just as much hindmilk in the begining????
    Foremilk and hindmilk are always mixed. It's not like there's a little switch in your boobs that shuts off foremilk and turns on hindmilk halfway through the feeding! The way to determine whether or not your baby is getting enough hindmilk is to check his poops. Yellow, seedy, curdy poops come from hindmilk. A baby who is getting too much watery foremilk (as can happen to some oversupply moms) will have green, watery poops.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    18,090

    Default Re: spit-up and hindmilk vs foremilk

    do you have a local LLL leader? I don't think I'd pay that lc another penny...
    IS she IBcLC?
    here's a little bit of info on what the leters all mean.
    http://www.kellymom.com/lcdirectory/abbreviations.html



    babies have a suck swallow reflex.
    That means they will finish a bottle with the breast the milk changes and they slow down twards the end of the feed and quit nursing.

    this might help explain things to you
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVSepOct95p69a.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    137

    Cool Re: spit-up and hindmilk vs foremilk

    Quote Originally Posted by Mommyofmyboys View Post
    I offer the second breast and he spits up.
    If mine switches to the other breast, he usually ends up puking on my breast

    I'm not really sure if it's lack of proper burping, over fullness, or what? I suck at burping. I have tried everything and still, each time he burps with me it's a tiny little bubble, then 10 minutes later, a huge explosion of spit up. I do so much laundry!
    Hi there

    I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

    We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

    We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!



    Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    28

    Question Re: spit-up and hindmilk vs foremilk

    Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    Here's my understanding of why you can't overfeed a breastfed baby, but you can overfeed a bottle-fed baby.

    First of all, when a baby is breastfeeding, milk only comes out when he is actively sucking. When a baby is bottle-fed, milk drips into his mouth even when he's not sucking.
    I have an oversupply. as he is nursing he will choke cause my letdown is too fast, i will see it spray out or leak like crazy, so if he isnt sucking actively he will get mouth fulls. so in this case, its overfeeding?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    28

    Exclamation Re: spit-up and hindmilk vs foremilk

    [BUMP]


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,013

    Default Re: spit-up and hindmilk vs foremilk

    You can overfeed a bottlefed baby not only because of the way formula flows from a bottle but also because people try to urge a baby to finish the bottle instead of letting the baby stop when they are full. With a breastfed baby the baby usually stops nursing when he is full. Also the nutrient content of breastmilk changes as your baby ages, not the amount he drinks. (According to DR. Jack Newman the amount an exclusively BF baby drinks is the same at 1 month and 5 months). In a formula fed baby since the formula has the same nutrients the baby has to drink more to get more nutrients which teaches the baby to eat more.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.


    Find a local LLL leader

    For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

    The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: spit-up and hindmilk vs foremilk

    Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    Foremilk and hindmilk are always mixed. It's not like there's a little switch in your boobs that shuts off foremilk and turns on hindmilk halfway through the feeding! The way to determine whether or not your baby is getting enough hindmilk is to check his poops. Yellow, seedy, curdy poops come from hindmilk. A baby who is getting too much watery foremilk (as can happen to some oversupply moms) will have green, watery poops.
    This helped me a lot. Thanks!
    Also, I had a question similar to the original post, because I'm a total noob too!
    I'm glad someone posted it first!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •