Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Drying up supply...pain question

Default Drying up supply...pain question

Hey all! With everyones support I started giving my son EBM and got up to around 6-8 oz (1/4 of his days milk total)a day for him over the course of almost 6 months.Thanks!!!
    About 10 days ago I decided to let the girls dry up and DS is almost 8 mos. I would love to keep going but I am starting to run out of time during the day/night to express on top of everything else. Anyhow, my right breast hurts!!! Also, the muscles from the breast all the way under my armpit and up into my shoulder blade hurts like burning pins and needles. There are also small rashes starting on my right breast, armpit and back! They hurt and I can't wear a bra. Is this sounding like a breast infection? There is no fever though....also, my mom said it sounds like it could be the shingles as I have been under sme immense stress lately. Either way I have a doc appt in the morning but just wanted to see if anyone else have experienced this as well?

Default Re: Drying up supply...pain question

I don't know about the rash, but the breast pain could be from weaning. Does the sore breast feel uncomfortably full?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_mom.html

sounds like a breast infection
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/mastitis.html

the fever might come quick if it is mastitis.....

How many feeds did you wean from?
    slow weaning is always the best opiton.
    WEan a feed and then wait a week or so and then reduce another feed.

Nope, there is no lump or "fullness" feeling. Just pain and burning and rash

I didn't think one could get an infection if the baby isn't actually suclking. But, I did slowly decreased the amts of expressings over a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by jenzbugrulz1978 View Post

I didn't think one could get an infection if the baby isn't actually suclking. But, I did slowly decreased the amts of expressings over a week or so.

I got an infection when I was pregnant with my second child(and not nursing the first)! It does sound like one to me.

Well, found out it is the shingles!!!! WEIRD....
    at first she thought it was mastits until she saw my rash on my back....ugh it hurts

Poor you! I've heard shingles is NOT FUN.

Oh no! Feel better soon.