Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions about starting to wean 10-month old

Default Questions about starting to wean 10-month old

Hi (new to this forum!) - I am returning to work in two and a half months and have questions about weaning, since I don't want to force DD to go 'cold turkey'.

Currently, I am BF DD six times a day, and feed solids three times a day. I tried twice to introduce formula and met with firm rejection (spit up BM and solids).

Other than BM, DD drinks liquids (water/diluted juice) from an Advent sippy cup trainer (with the clear silicone stopper removed), but doesn't take a great deal of liquid (probably 80-120ml/day, which is why I'm still BF six times a day, to ensure adequate fluid intake). I don't feel I can get any more food/liquid into DD! My questions:

- Does anyone BF their baby twice a day only (morning and night) - can an adequate milk supply for two BF/day be maintained without pumping (it won't be practical to pump once I return to work)?

- Has anyone come across information relating to a norm for daily urinary output for infants? I have a really hard time with judging wet diapers! My concern is that DD's morning diaper is very strong smelling, and her total output in a given day is currently about 16oz (I'm weighing her diapers), not sure if that is adequate. No other symptoms of dehyration, though.

- Does anyone have experience/advice on how to transition from BF to sippy cup that ensures adequate fluid intake and calories during the weaning process? DD's doctor recommends against cow's milk until one year. I'm not too keen on formula, based on our first experiences.

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

Default Re: Questions about starting to wean 10-month old

So, by the time you go back to work, your DD will be a year old? You should be able to make it work without too much trouble at all.

I nurse in the morning, when I get home from work, and right before bedtime and then as often as my 18 month old dd wants on the weekends. I haven't pumped since last June and it is still working. I will say that, during the time I'm usually at work, if dd nurses on the weekend she pulls on the nipple a little more than at other times. But, at the times she usually nurses, the milk is there for her. She drinks water, juice, and cow's milk when I'm not around or if she'd rather have them.

I don't think you'll have any trouble continuing to nurse while with DD once you go back to work.

Does she nurse at night at all? Do you cosleep? If so, then I wouldn't worry about fluid intake because she can make up for it at night. If not, then I would just make sure she has free access to a sippy of water throughout the day. She should be able to regulate herself just fine. But, you could also try to offer foods with a lot of liquid, like juicy fruits and soups.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Yep. IF you make it a year, you can pretty much count on your body to deal with the new situation with no problem. Your baby can simply nurse when you are together.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks very much for your reply - I'd like to continue BF DD for a while beyond a year if she wishes to do so, and I wanted to make sure my body would back me up!

She doesn't nurse at night at all (those were the first BF sessions to go!), and we don't co-sleep. Given that we're still at five BF/day, there isn't much opportunity for additional liquids outside of mealtime, but I do appreciate the advice. I dropped one feeding at the beginning of this week, and DD is taking in more fluids at each of her solid meals. Thank you!

Thanks for all of the advice - has anyone else not used formula as part of the weaning process? I'm concerned that DD will not have adequate caloric intake without it. I think I'll try mixing a little bit in with her cereal again, it's been several days since the first rejected attempts!

My DD is 14 months and while not weaned, I work full time and she doesn't nurse very often, (when I get home and 2-3 times at night). She does not do formula (it is SOOOOOO expensive) and as I have started to nurse less, she has started to eat more. I'd say watch your DD and offer lots of high calorie foods, like avacado and foods that are high in protein. If she seems happy and continues to gain/grow, she is probably fine.

On a side note, my DD doesn't like cow's milk very much, but drinks lots of water.
    toni
    Mom to: Aylin born 1-30-07 & Zadock born 7-25-05 Mmmm...boy stew.

Quote Originally Posted by 100607 View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice - has anyone else not used formula as part of the weaning process? I'm concerned that DD will not have adequate caloric intake without it. I think I'll try mixing a little bit in with her cereal again, it's been several days since the first rejected attempts!
    Anyone but me? My son is 27 months old and we are down to to 3times a day. I went back to work at 14months and went from nursing on demand to being away from him 50 hours a week or so and only nursing when together. I never pumped, I never was engorged and I never didn't have enough milk for him. He drank water only while away from me. I NEVER gave him formula. You really don't have anything to worry about. If your child continues to nurse3-5x in a 24hours period you'll be fine.

Way too lazy for formula