Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stressed and Unsure

Exclamation Stressed and Unsure

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new mom my son is six months old. Since he's birth many have been against me bf exculsively. Currently I've decided to allow Trevor to eat some solids because i was worried about his weight. When he was 7.5 at birth now he weights 16.3. Is there a chart I can follow on the ideal weight and motor skills he is supposed to display.

He is constipated after i introduced to solids...I've decided to stop the solids but haven't told my family yet. Their so excited to see him eat yet no one thinks about what's best. I heard feeding a baby to soon can mess up their insides and when a child reaches for your food. Doesn't mean it's a sign of hungry instead your child is just interested because you are eating it.

Can someone please help me shine some light on the situation?

I thank everyone for you helpful comments in advance.

Default Re: Stressed and Unsure

Welcome!
    If you go out into the forum there are some really good pieces on solids and when and what are good 1st foods. Some signs they are ready are; sitting up unassisted, teeth and exhibiting the "pincher" grasp. BUT...your instincts as a mother are right! So congratulations to you for folling them! Breastmilk is where your child should get MOST of his nutrition the 1st year. Foods should be more of a fun and loving experiment on different tastes and learning how to chew and swallow. You should always offer ther breast 1st and after. And only introduce one food at a time (over a couple of days) so if there is an allergic reaction, you know where it's coming from.

Great 1st foods to try are Sweet Potatoes, Avacados, and Bananas.
    My son will be 7 months old on the 22nd of this month. He exhibits all the signs. So far he likes water melon, avacado and Yoplait custard style yougurt. ( I KNOW I shouldn't feed him that processed crap! But it's the only thing he actually gets excited about) But we don't sit down and try every day. I still don't have a highchair and I don't give him a bath everyday so......it's to much for me. But he weighs 20 lbs. and since I know he can survive for at LEAST a year on breastmilk alone, the pressure is GONE!
    Hope this helps! Again go cruising out on the LLL website you'll find a some great info!

I too was in no hurry to start solids. 6mo is by no means a magical number. We would sit E on our lab while we ate. He soon let us know he was interested in eating our food. I started with mashed banana thinned with a little breastmilk. We just sat the bowl in front of him a let him grab handful himself. Our second food was prunes. I was really concerned about constipation that can come along with rice cereal. Dr. Sears was a great resource for me. Of course breast milk was his main source of nutrition. We just did the food once a day and kept the sessions short and fun. Letting him lead the way.

My DD is 7 months and so far she's only tried watermelon a few times (she grabbed it from my hands and put it in her mouth). We're in no rush to start solids, and are letting her tell us when she's ready. We are planning on offering her some organic avocados next and see how that goes.

I had many of my non breastfeeding girlfriends telling me, "Oh, look how Addie is watching you eat ... she must be starving for solid food." Well, Adeline also watches me with the same intensity when I put on mascara or pluck my eyebrows ... does that mean she's dying to try on make-up and get a brow wax? With the watermelon we've been letting her have a fist size chunk to play with. She'll bite on it and suck the juice, but the little pieces she's gotten off usually fall out of her mouth eventually. She likes being in control of what goes in her mouth (will NOT take a pacifier, medicine, suck on anything that she's not placing there herself), so spoon feeding is out of the question. Even our mainstream pediatrician recommended letting her feed herself.

I really liked this web site for a baby-led solid food introduction:
    Guidelines for implementing a baby-led approach to the introduction of solid foods

And for all my family and friends who say I'm starving her and that she needs "real" food now I love this page:
    Why Delay Solids?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Dr. Sears has good info on childhood constipation. Try to avoid the bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.... BRAT diet as these are intended to bind. Rice is not a good first food.

I'm sorry you are experiencing pressure. Family and friends did the same to me.... wanting my dd to eat solids. I ignored it and continued to bf. I found it a very confusing time. I felt the most relaxed when I read two books, maybe they will help you. 1. LLLI's "The Womanly Art of Breast feeding" and 2. Dr. Sears "Nighttime Parenting." Both reaffirmed for me what I came to decide was right for my dd and me.

Another tip, when you feel pressured... don't act. Wait it out. Get away from the source of stress. I assure you BM will always be a superb nutrition for your child as you decide what is best.

Let me know if you need more info on constipation. I've learned alot, having troubles starting around 2years. My dd still nurses.

Thank You for you information...I'll get away for now on before making any major decisions...By next month i should have both books..