Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help plz with supply!

Default Help plz with supply!

It feel like my supply is dec for some reason. When i pump I only get an ounce if I am lucky and it takes longer than usual for my milk to let in when my lo sucks...which makes him a bit testy!

any advice would be great on how to increase my amount when pumping and in general?

I pump usually when i am going out without baby and daddy gives a bottle. He eats about 2 oz maybe three. I would love to just pump the two at one sitting instead of three. I used to be able to get a good four oz at one sitting.

anywhoooo

any help is so appreciated.

Default Re: Help plz with supply!

Hopefully you can find something on this page which will help:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

How old is your lo? I noticed my pumping output decreased when DD was around 9-10 months. Really, the best way to increase supply is to nurse as frequently as possible and add in some extra pumping sessions. Have you tried a nursing/pumping vacation? Just take a weekend and stay in bed with lo and nurse/pump frequently.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

my lo is five months on the fifth. I nurse about every two or three hours. When is good to pump..after or before?

Probably after. You will still make milk to nurse if you pump first but your lo may get frustrated because the flow may not be as fast.

Good Luck!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I agree after...is prob best...but dont get discouraged, it may take you all day to get a bottles worth, but then pump after lo goes down for the longest stretch of the night..i pump at 11pm bec my lo has been down since 8-830ish...then i get a whole extra feed in one session!
    hth
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

You might also try pumping one side while the baby eats on the other. I do that in the morning when I seem to have more supply. If you can build up even a little extra in the freezer that might take the stress off.

I went through this exact same thing with my lo starting at about 4 1/2 months and she is 5months and 1 week tomorrow. I totally freaked out and went and saw my LC b/c I was sure I was not getting enough milk. After a few days of pumping and getting nothing I was very scared. What I was told is that my body was not going to respond to the pump(or atleast not well) b/c I usally strictly nurse. This did not mean that I was short on milk for my lo. After a few days my milk seemed to be coming in more normal. I used to feel every time my milk let down, and just this past week I started to notice I no longer feel that. I have been told this is all totally normal. I find pumping when I feel a let down, regardless of if my lo is hungry helps. I usually pump after I feed my lo on the opposite side I nursed on.

Hi ,

Here's a link to some information that might be helpful to you: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana