Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sad and unsure

Default sad and unsure

okay my post is kinda long so sorry and please bare with me. My DS is almost 9 months and has always been very difficult to nurse. I took us 8 weeks to get started from the get go and is very distracted when we nurse during the day, but we stuck with it. He's never been a fan of the bottle and paci so that helped. I am a flight attendant and usally only work 5 days throughout a month and always come home at night. Last week however I had to work away from home for 5 days. My Medela pump and style was acting funny and I wasn't able to pump as often and as long as needed. When I got home DS and DH had Hand, Mouth and Foot virus, and DS did not want to nurse. I should have pumped but with two sick babies I had no sleep and no energy. Now DS is feeling better but I have a low low low supply. We had a sick baby check up and was told that DS hasn't gained enough weight since his last check up so it was recommeded to start formula in hopes of some weight gain before his nine month check. Now I still have a low supply, DS will not take a bottle and I just had a root cannal today. I feel defeated and I want to throw in the towel. I feel like I should make the effort to kick start my supply with fennegreek, tea and new pump but with DS's nursing habits and him almost turning a year I wonder if its worth it. Please I need support, advice or at least somone who understands

Default Re: sad and unsure

Wow!!! You've been through A LOT!

Maybe an SNS would help a little. That way you can work on uping your supply and get baby more nourishment at the same time.

Personally, if it was me, for right now I'd do the best that I could and definitely not let myself dry up! It sounds like you are exhausted, but keep in mind that especially with a sick LO your milk will help LO the most!

There was another thread on here recently from another mama about Hand, Mouth and Foot virus. Here's a link: http://forums.lalecheleague.org/show...+mouth+disease

HTH! Get some rest and I hope you and LO feel better soon!

oh mom....if hes been sick less weight gain is almost alway normal!
    One day at a time!
    have you talked to your local leader?
    she can help beter then we can on line

It does sound like you've been through a lot But rest assured you can get through this

First and foremost, as andrea said a sick baby will not gain that much weight, and may even loose, and it's not a major issue. Was your doc aware baby had been sick recently?

Also regarding your root canal... get as much rest as you can and take this as a chance to keep baby at the breast all day long
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hi ,

Do you remember what baby's weight gain was when he saw the doctor? It is very normal for breastfed babies to slow down their weight gain in the second half of their first year. A typical breastfed baby will gain quickly during the first six months, and then slow down and "thin out" as they become more mobile. The growth curves used by most pediatricians are based on formula fed babies. Formula fed babies tend to grow at a much more steady rate. This is because formula is always the same: every bottle, every time. Breastmilk changes to meet your baby's changing needs.

As previous posters have stated, it is also possible that baby's growth slowed down due to his illness. After things are back to normal and baby is nursing well again, you might consider bringing him in for another weight check.

The best way to increase your milk production is to nurse your baby very frequently. Try taking baby to bed for a few days and have a "nursing vacation". After a long week, his sickness, and your root canal, it would probably do you both a lot of good. Is he nursing well at this point? A few days of good nursing is often all it takes to make it over a low supply dip.

Renting a hospital grade pump for a while might also be something to try. Many mothers find that they are able to pump a lot more with a hospital grade pump.

Hang in there, mama.

Tiana

Thanks for the input, I should have thought of wieght gain and illness. Before hand mouth and foot virus DS had an ear infection.

Right now its a battle of the wills. DS will not take a bottle no matter how hungry he is and will not stay latched. He hits my boobs and is very fustrated with the slow flow. I tried the SNS and he looked at me like I was crazy. So I'm going to be taking 7 fenugreek pills 3x a day (already taken two doses) and bought some Irish oatmeal.

I feel so sad when DS starts crying at the breast and am just trying to get through today.

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you...I've been away from my computer a lot these past few days. How are you doing today?