Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting Cereal

Default Starting Cereal

Hello Ladies, i am in need of some advise.
    My LO always seems hungry so we just started cereal at 6mo, I wanted to hold off longer, but I think she was really ready and I was reading her signs. At night she would fuss until I gave her a bottle of EBM, which was after she nursed off both sides and at day care she always seemed like she needed and wanted more.

Well this is my problem, the cereal does not fill her up, nor does it hold her over longer. Would you consider giving her veggies? I would give them to her at daycare, so it would not interfere with her nursing. I am not sure if that will fill her up or not. I am not pumping more then 3.5 – 4 oz and she is taking 3, 3.5 oz bottles at daycare while she is there for 8 hours. I would give her a 4 oz bottle, but I am not sure I can produce that.
    Here is her schedule, well she really does not have a schedule this is about what she does!

11pm or 12am nurse
    2 or 3am nurse
    5 0r 6am nurse
    720am nurse
    9-10am 2tbs spoons cereal with 1oz EBM and a 2.5oz bottle
    12 or 1pm 3.5 oz bottle
    3 or 4pm 3.5 oz bottle
    6pm nurse
    7:30-8:30 nurse
    7:30 – 8:30pm sleep

please let me know what you think!!!
    1st Goal 3mo 12-30
    2nd Goal 6mo 3/30
    3rd Goal 9mo
    4th Goal 1 year

I am becasue you are and you are because i am!

all day and Love all night!
    with DH Corey for 1 1/2 years!

Default Re: Starting Cereal

I started veggies and fruits at 6 mo!!
    I gave late morning - fruit and cereal then dinner - veggie and diff cereal!
    she wasnt looking for milk after these sessions and enjoyed her new meals!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Well, if you pump longer, I imagine eventually your body WILL catch up and start producing 4oz for you, because of the whole supply and demand thing.

Heck, if you don't want to even give infant cereal, you don't have to! You could just do veggies. Here's one of my favourite resources for baby food: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
    Even if you don't make your own, it gives you guidelines for when to start what, and tells you what's in what food. Avacados are good and fatty, not to mention very nutritious. Maybe you could try those? I've heard a lot of ladies here say it took a while for their LOs to warm up to avacado, but that they eventually loved it!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

so then would you say that the veggies did a better job then the cereal at holding her over during feeding?
    1st Goal 3mo 12-30
    2nd Goal 6mo 3/30
    3rd Goal 9mo
    4th Goal 1 year

It sounds like your LO may be ready for food!

I wouldn't worry about solids adversely affecting your LO's BF because at some point every baby needs to transition, no? Also, the first several months of solids are more for developing the eating skill and taste palate and less for baby's nutritional needs so your LO will still be getting the majority of her needed calories and nourishment from your BM. (And sorry to be the bearer of bad new here, but normally when baby is ready for solids, the food you give supplements the BM...it doesn't necessarily mean that your LO will nurse less frequently)

Two really good first foods are banana and avocado. Both are pretty filling and all you do is take a ripe piece and mash it really well with a fork! (I had to add water to the mashed avocado for awhile, though, because the consistency was a bit pasty at first)

Banana and avocado, mixed, is still my LO's favorite food! (Beware, fresh banana stains like the dickens!!!)

20 hours of hypnobirthing and I LOVED every second of it!

so it os okay to give fruit for the 1st food, i was thinkign about avacdo, but not bananas? so many people tell me that if you give fruit that is all they will eat!!!! i am worried!
    1st Goal 3mo 12-30
    2nd Goal 6mo 3/30
    3rd Goal 9mo
    4th Goal 1 year

Quote Originally Posted by Little Addy View Post
    so it os okay to give fruit for the 1st food, i was thinkign about avacdo, but not bananas? so many people tell me that if you give fruit that is all they will eat!!!! i am worried!
    I've never found that to be the case with mine. I started with fruit with all and they're still great little veggie eaters.

I've seen recommendations both ways, don't think it matters much. But, avocado is a fruit anyway