Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Water to calm upset stomach?

Default Water to calm upset stomach?

I'm afraid my DD has an upset stomach due to some spicy foods I ate earlier today. She has been crying when I BF her and I just changed her diaper. She's been trying to go to sleep for the past 45 minutes as I rocked her and she'd cry out unless I patted her back (as if to burp her) continuously. If I stopped patting, she'd cry again.

She just fell asleep and I put her down in the crib about 5 minutes ago, and now I hear her crying again.

Can I give her some water in a bottle to calm her stomach? I'm not sure that my current milk supply is going to help any!! She is 3.5 months old (15 weeks).

Thanks,
    Holly
    I used to and and use gDiapers when they were clean (now we're potty-trained... yay!). Also enjoyed but she still in the mornings.

Default Re: Water to calm upset stomach?

It might help to neutralize her tummy, but I wouldn't give her more than an once or so. Poor baby. Let me know if it works.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

You might want to try gripe water. I don't know if I would give water to a baby that young.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    You might want to try gripe water. I don't know if I would give water to a baby that young.
    I don't have any gripe water... I did give her some "Little Tummys" gas drops.

What can water do to babies? I understand why you don't want to fill up their tummies with water instead of BM, but other than that, why do people hesitate to give it to them? It seems like a natural thing of nature that they'd be able to drink water. [I'm not trying to be hostile, I'm just seriously curious. I asked my mom this same thing a few weeks ago.]

FYI, after she woke up, I got her back down and she's been asleep now for the past 45 minutes. So I haven't had to try any of this yet!! Thanks for the advice though!!
    I used to and and use gDiapers when they were clean (now we're potty-trained... yay!). Also enjoyed but she still in the mornings.

Another tip for the future. White Grape juice is good for upset tummies. For your LO being so young I would do 1oz juice 2oz water, but not feed her all three oz....KWIM.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Hi!

It is inadvisable to give an infant that age water or juice. The high sugar content ( corn syrup ect) of most juices is not good for a child that age. Water will offer only hydration and your infant will miss the calories contained in your milk. As well as the comfort of mama when she doesn't feel well.

How long ago did you eat what you suspect may be the culprit food? The best course of action is to breast feed your baby. There are natural painkillers contained in breast milk that will allow baby to feel better. Don't be afraid to nurse your baby!

Here's some helpful info:

There are many cultures who regularly eat spicy foods and strong-flavored foods, and there is no evidence that a greater percentage of these babies are fussy, gassy, or have other problems with the foods their moms eat. We do know that some strong flavors, like garlic, can pass into the milk but it does not seem to cause problems. In fact, one study showed that babies nursed better after mom ate garlic.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-foods.html
    The idea that certain foods in any mom's diet will cause gas in her baby is incredibly persistent but is not founded in research. If certain foods in moms' diets were an overall problem for most babies, we would expect that cultures that emphasize those foods would have more gassy and fussy babies, but this does not occur at all.

This is not to say that certain foods would not bother a particular baby - this does happen occasionally (and it's more likely with very young babies). However, there is no list of foods that every mom should avoid while breastfeeding. In fact, most babies are fine with any food that mom eats, so there is no reason to avoid a food unless you notice an obvious reaction in your baby every time you eat a particular food.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html
    Here is some information specific to water:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...aby-water.html

HTH!

ITA with carpentergirl and Peas. I just wanted to add my two cents on why I would be afraid to give water to a little baby, in addition to what's been stated. Tap water is loaded with scary stuff, including chlorine, fluoride, and possibly lead, mercury, pathogenic bacteria, etc. Bottled water is not much better, and even the best filters will not remove everything. JMO!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I read somewhere (but I would have to search for the link-I think it was a link from the kellymom site) that babies are able to control what they get when nursing. If they are thirsty then they can nurse to get the foremilk which is closer to water and if they are hungry they can nurse to get the hindmilk which is more like food for them. They know how to regulate nursing to get what they need. I understand what you are saying about nature and water but really for a baby that young nursing is what nature intended, not giving water in a bottle.

I am glad she feels better.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)