Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting finger foods?

Question Starting finger foods?

When is it appropriate to try finger foods? My son is 8 months old, and I tried a few soaked 'puffs' the other day and he just gagged. Now I'm scared to try anything else.

Default Re: Starting finger foods?

My DD started eating tiny tiny chunks in puree around 8 months. She didn't start eating finger foods until 10.5months. Some babies are different than others. Try againg in a few days or a week. Your LO gagging is his way of telling you he's not ready for the big stuff yet. Start small and as he starts to handle the small stuff try bigger pieces or chunkier textures. And don't worry they usually gag it up all by themselves.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

My DS is 8 months old, I tried cheerios and he gagged. Just this week I tried softer solids like very small pieces of banana, avocado and pear and he could handle all of them w/o problem. Just last night I soaked some cheerios in BM (just a little) he could still pick it up but it wasn't as dry and he had no problems handling them.

Before I cut the pieces I started to smash less his banana and avocado with the fork so there were small pieces in the puree and that may have helped him transition to finger foods. Just a thought.
    Good luck and take your time every baby is different.

Hi Heather2 by any chance were those the Gerber Puff???? I just bouth those at babiesrus but I am not sure how it will turn out my lo 9 1/2 and she eats a bit chunkier then purees, egg folks, avocado and pieces of chicken very tiny thought....

Yes, they were the Gerber Puffs. I just put them away and will probably try tiny pieces of soft fruit or well-cooked veggie as the others recommended. Does anyone use the stage 3 foods? My sister said she skipped those all together.

Henry started eating 1/2 cheerios at 6 1/2 months. Do a search on this forum for 'baby-led solids' and you will see some of us who skipped purees all together and gave our babies small pieces of soft food basically from the beginning.

with that said, henry did choke and gag on a lot for until he was 7 or maybe 8 months old. i took it as a sign he wasn't ready for many solids yet... no need to rush the process, bm is the best thing for them still!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I'll put the puff away... althought my baby its some tiny pieces of solid I saw the size of the puff... I think they are too big and hard for her to handle right now...