Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby not gaining enough weight

Default Baby not gaining enough weight

DS is 4 1/2 mo. old. He currently weighs 10lbs even and is 22 1/2 inches long. DS weighed 6 1/2 ponds at birth and was 18 inches long.

Recently went to 4mo. appt. Doc said babies weight is is worrying him and would like to see him again in 1 months time to see if he has gained. If not he would like for me to start supplementing with formula. He also said I should start cereal right away. He made me feel so inadequate.

I EBF 6-7 times within a 24hr period. He nurses on both sides for about 20 min. each side. I would like to continue this until he reaches 6 months of age and then start introducing solids, however I am worried I am doing something wrong.

My DS seems to be reaching all milestones and is quite a happy little guy...except for the teething part. I have 2 other sons 1 only formula fed ( had so many problems with hospital visits and allergies) I vowed to breastfeed my second and was only able to do so for 1 month, however the little I did made quite a difference. Now with my 3rd I have EBF since birth and would really love to continue. The benefits are countless!

Any advice?

Default Re: Baby not gaining enough weight

Nurse more often! When he seems done eating, offer the other side, even if he already ate off of it.

How long does he sleep at night? He need to be waking up to eat, not sleeping through. Consider co-sleeping, so that your breasts are readily available, and he can eat if he's hungry. Some infants will wake up in the night hungry, but it won't be available, so they'll go back to sleep without eating. If it was available, they'd eat. If you're already co-sleeping, disregard this paragraph.

Breast compressions, to make sure he keeps up the suck/swallow pattern while he's latched on.

Here's an excellent resource from Dr. Newman for increasing baby's intake:
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...=94&Itemid=125

There are a bunch of things you could try in that article before resorting to solids or formula.

I recommend talking to an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. A lot of doctors are quick to say "start solids!" and "get 'em on formula!" when improving your latch, doing breast compression, or boosting your supply herbally or with medication would do the trick. An IBCLC could give you a lot of tips most doctors don't know. Also, if you get in touch with your local La Leche League leader, she could check your latch for you (as a bonus, there's no charge for going to a meeting or talking to a leader!)

One of the things that Dr. Newman points out is that, if supplementation is necessary after four months, it may be better to do it with solids than with formula.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

I would question starting solids early. Breast milk is the perfect nutrition for your baby. Your body makes it especially for your baby. Cereals are not a complete food. Check out the WHO charts for baby growth, you want to compare your son's growth with other breast fed babys not formula fed babies.

Also trust yourself. If you feel like he is growing adequatly and is happy and healthy trust that.

Check your diet, make sure you are also eating and drinking enough. Right now your baby eats what you eat, you two are the same in some ways. Also I would talk to your dr. because he should not make you feel inadequate.

I would echo what other's have said, nurse more frequently. Just keep offering him the breast every hour throughout the day. He may not want it, but give him the chance.

6-7x in a 24 hr period seems very low. Is he having lots of wet diapers, I think it's 5-6 heavy wet disposable diapers or 10-12 cloth ones? How much is he sleeping? Does he stay awake for long periods of time and interact by smiling and laughing? What was his lowest weight? You need to use that vs his birth weight and then see if he's been gaining 4ozs a week on average.

I will share the story of my dd who was almost labeled FTT at her 4 mos appt. She was born at 7#2oz and at 4 mos she was 9#13oz. She slept almost constantly, never cried to be fed, didn't smile or play, had wet diapers (I didn't realize not enough till she finally got enough food in her), and I just knew something was wrong but part of me didn't want to realize it. I started supplementing after our 4 mos appt while working on supply and in one week she gained a #! I know babies who were 10# at 4 mos though and are perfectly fine, that's just how they were meant to be. Ilana was NOT gaining what she needed to be though and was showing signs of malnourishment and those are important to look for.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

I totally understand your stress. I have went throught the same thing not too long ago. I did a couple of things like rented a hospital grade pump so that i could supplement with ebm instead of formula. I did use formula a few times, but first choice should be ebm if you can get enough from pumping. I took some supplements to increase supply, but talk to your LC or doctor first before trying these things, and they should be used as a last resort. By the way my baby was diagnosed with failure to thrive. She is doing good now and your Lo will be fine too. Can you fit a few extra feedings in? Maybe wake baby if sleeping through long stretches so you can feed more?

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

My baby can go up to 7 hrs with out a bottle of breast milk.... I offer the bottles or my breast any time I can.... my lo was a very low birth weight baby 2lb 9oz she is 9 1/2 mo and weight 16lb 7oz.... As per the hospital, her pedi and all the baby books I've read babies should gain 2lb per month, dont need to be excatly that but near, and yes I am takling about bf babies..... by the time they reach 6 mo they slow down and only gain a few ozs..... If I fallow that I will think that the baby didnt gained enough.......

My advise listen to what the pedi says but always use your own judment.... you are the one in charge.... if you feel that is too soon for solids and want to try improve her weight with EBM go for it!!!!! Drs will give you a general information and will (mostly) base their input base on formula feed babies.....

I always have to remind her pedi that she is a BF baby and a premmie

Thank you all for taking time to help me.

My DS is thriving and quite a happy baby. He does have 8-9 wet diapers per day and poops every 2-3 days. Since his birth he has slept in our bed, and I feed him once during the night. His feedings usually go like this- 3am,7am,11am,2pm,6pm,9pm sometimes one extra feeding in between.

I did try something different today...I included one extra feeding in the morning and will try an extra one during the afternoon. That would make about 8 feedings during a 24hr period. Hopefully it will work and his weight will start to climb.

Now that I'm adding two extra feedings per day, I'm worried about my milk supply, especially during the evening hours, I notice It usually isn't that great during that time. Is there a way to increase milk supply without having to pump? I seldom do so, it is just a preference.

Everything sounds good. It's normal to have lower supply at night, so just try and make sure you're getting enough water during the day and let baby nurse as long as he wants at night.

As per the hospital, her pedi and all the baby books I've read babies should gain 2lb per month, dont need to be excatly that but near, and yes I am takling about bf babies
    In the first 6 mos, baby should be gaining about 4ozs a week MINIMUM, some gain more, but 1lb per month is doing good. Even my 75%+ baby didn't gain 12# in the first 6 mos (just a few ozs shy, lol) and Evan didn't even gain that the first year!
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)